Accountant Vacancy at WODSTA
Women Development for Science and Technology (WODSTA) is a non-governmental organization based in Arusha, Tanzania. It was started in 1990 and registered in 1992 and officially complied in 2007. WODSTA’s philosophy and activities are focused on enhancing the status and position of women. Emphasis is focused on grass root women, the girl child and marginalized communities within the Arusha, Kilimanjaro and Manyara Regions.
WODSTA is a women’s membership organization guided by the principles of justice, voluntarism, and transparency. WODSTA aims at enabling a women’s self-discovery in order to take her rightful place in society and play her role in accordance with her full potential. The interest of WODSTA’s members include education, agriculture, community and gender development providing a large knowledge base in dealing with the complexities of women’s development issues. WODSTA consists of a dedicated team of community organizers and volunteers who believe in the importance of grassroots education and social change. The organization is member driven with a Governing Board made up of women actively involved in the community and other civil society organizations. This Board is responsible for policy and for general direction of the organization.
Empowered Women with Equitable and Inclusive opportunities
The mission of WODSTA is to Promote gender equality, self-discovery and social wellbeing through capacity building to women and youth.
Where are we located?
We are located at Njiro Nane Nane Agricultural Show Ground
- Ensure that all payments are accurately supported, approved and coded, and paid in a timely manner as per the payment workflow with the reasons for delays in payments clearly explained.
- Ensure proper preparation of monthly payroll journal for the organization and proper filing.
- In the absenceof the accounts assistant, form back up for capturing transactions in approved financial management system .
- Ensure monthly and quarterly financial reports are well prepared in a timely manner with a desired quality.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliations for all WODSTA accounts are done, charges by bank are consistent with the agreed bank charges and overdue items in bank reconciliations are dealt with in timely manner as per the financial Policies and Procedures manual.
- Maintain donor commitment tables and ensure timely submission of donor reports as per donor requirements.
- Ensure proper documentation; and filling of both physical and electronic financial documents including ensuring easy retrieval of documents and proper arrangement of documents to ensure proper follow-ability.
- Contribute to developing realistic budgets that correspond to the organizational plan.
- Prepare semi-annually and annual financial statements for WODSTA in accordance with general accepted accounting principles in Tanzania and internationally recognized financial reporting practices (IFRS).
10.Maintain imprest accounts for all staff and follow up immediate retirements, in case of non-compliance remind and guide staff on the retirement policy.
11.Manage petty cash in line with financial regulations and procedures.
12.Ensure that the organizations assets and other resources are safeguarded from financial loss through theft, fraud or errors by adherence to professional standards and policies, procedures, structures and systems of the organization.
13.Supervise, coach, mentor ,and appraise the Accounts Assistant.
14.Assist and provide guidance to staff on financial policies and responding to any queries directed to finance department
15.Provide orientation and training to the organizations staff on cost-effective management.
16.Support audit processes by giving all the necessary information and auditable documents of all projects of the organization ,and acting on the feedback given thereafter
- Ensure that WODSTA timely complies to all rules and regulations as per the compliance checklist established by the Organization.
18.See to it that WODSTA complies to all rules and regulations stated in Donors agreements. Seek clarification from all Donors working with WODSTA for them to specify their compliance requirements in case such requirements were not provided by such Donors in the first place
19.Undertake any other assignment as may be directed by the supervisor from time to time.
- Successfully implement all required responsibilities and assigned activities in work plans and budgets, consistent with WODSTA policies.
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, and reporting and information dissemination of WODSTA ’s work.
- Support fundraising initiatives in the organization whenever required
- Collaborate with WODSTA staff across projects in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to get things done.
- Communicate your work through active use of internal platforms (emails), and being accessible on electronic chats (WhatsApp) as per WODSTA requirements.
- Participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
- Comply with and foster adherence to the established WODSTA values, policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by your Supervisor, or Executive Director.
Key Qualifications for the Job being advertised:
- Holder of Certified Public Accountant (CPA -T) certificate or equivalent preferred,
- At least two to three years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent administrative, planning and budgeting skills.
- Working knowledge of computerized accounting and other computer application packages.
- Impeccable, corruption free reputation and integrity.
- Ability to keep deadlines and keen attention to details.
- Experience in NGO accounts/financial management.
- Good interpersonal skills to be able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Attention to details to be able to scrutinize payment supporting documents before effecting payment
- Effective communication both oral and written in English and Kiswahili..
- Skills and experience in fund raising is an added advantage.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
WODSTA is an equal opportunity organization; therefore, any candidate with relevant competency is highly encouraged to apply. Competent females are mostly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Kindly send your application Letter and Curriculum Vitae through :email@example.com ; with the subject of your email indicating the position you are applying for.
Deadline for Application:
The deadline for application for this position is 12th January, 2024. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted