Telephone Operator at U.S. Embassy
- Announcement Number:DaresSalaam-2023-026
- Hiring AgencyEmbassy Dar Es Salaam
- Position Title:Telephone Operator (All Interested Candidates)
- Open Period:05/25/2023 – 06/08/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:GMT+3
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
- Series/Grade:LE – 0605 4
- Salary:TZS TSh18,379,348 /Per Year
- Work Schedule:Full-time –
- Promotion Potential:LE-4
- Duty Location(s):Telework Eligible:
- NoFor More Info:HR Section255-22-2294148 email@example.com
- Hiring Path:• Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Telephone Operator in the Information Management Section.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- Occasional Travel
Telephone Operation: 85%
Operates the Nortel Meridian telephone console. Receives and processes, incoming calls to the
individual or office. Places long distance calls and maintains records of usage for TTCL and
Telephone companies which have contract with Embassy. Maintain a current internal telephone
list for Embassy, USAID, Peace Corps, CDC and other new offices.
Training backup Operators: 15%
Trains and periodically evaluates backup Switchboard Operators, all of the Mailroom, Reproduction
Room and Radio/Telephone staff are trained as backup Switchboard Operators (5 employees).
They fill in as needed, for example, during illness or vacation of full time operators or during periods
when the switchboard must go to 24 hour operations, such as during VIP visits. Ensures that
calls are routed correctly and the phone is answered in a courteous manner and that difficult
situations are dealt with professionally at all times. Ensures that backup operators are trained
in updating the phone listings.
Job holder will perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience as a Telephone Operator is requred.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of Secondary school (form IV) is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge)
Speaking/Reading/Writing English is required. Level 3 (Good Working
Knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing Swahili is required. (This may be
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Diversity Equality and Inclusion Statement
The US Mission to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania values a workforce of different backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints. We strive to create a welcoming environment for all and we invite applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the
following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference
in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these
applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure
to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not
eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested
degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement
by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested
information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility,
may result in disqualification for this position.
• Residency and/or Work Permit
• Certificate Of Secondary School (Form IV)
• Leaving Certificate (Form IV)
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test,
or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.