The Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College is a constituent College of Tumaini University Makumira, owned by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania. The College trains health professionals for various University awards in clinical, biomedical and allied health sciences. It currently wishes to recruit competent and committed candidate to fill the position of Prosector.
JOB TITLE: PROSECTOR GRADE III
1.1 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
(i) Educational qualifications:
Certificate of Secondary Education (Form IV) or Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education (Form VI) leaver with passes in science subjects, plus Diploma (NTA Level 6) in Human Prosection, Anatomical Pathology, Mortuary Science or other health related training from a recognised institution. OR Form IV or Form VI plus any equivalent combination of practical experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills: –
- Considerable knowledge of equipment, materials and methods used in cadaver dissection and prosection.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology.
- Knowledge of the preservation, mounting and exhibition of gross anatomical specimens.
- Knowledge of record keeping principles, methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions involved in the work.
- Ability to prepare plastic solutions and inject cadavers.
- Ability to handle human remains in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to perform assigned tasks according to prescribed procedures, and to make accurate observations of results.
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Ability to maintain work records and to prepare related reports.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Work Experience:
At least one-year practical experience in handling and preparation of human cadaver material including familiarity with dissection and prosection practices.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of human anatomy
- Cadaveric prosection and dissection skills.
- Prepared and able to work with human bodies/prosections.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a confidential manner.
- Willingness to learn and adapt.
- Must have strong attention to detail in dissection and prosection
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Accurate record keeping skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
1.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(1) Main Responsibilities
- Production and maintenance of prosected human material for teaching and research.
- Cadaver preparation and maintenance for teaching and learning purposes.
(2) Specific Duties
(a) Production and maintenance of prosections
- Prepare Anatomy Laboratory for practical teaching and assessment sessions.
- Preparing prosections, skeletal material, and anatomical models for teaching and learning activities. iii. Liaise with anatomy teaching staff to determine particular requirements and precise details for prosection work.
- Prosects embalmed human remains to produce high-quality anatomic specimens for instructional use and demonstration by the anatomy teaching staff.
- Assist Lecturers and students in cadaver dissections. vi. Locate and label prosections for practical exams. Maintain the supply of prosections, replacing as required when worn or damaged. viii. Assist with the removal (harvest) of body parts for research and teaching and associated labelling, identifying pieces that are best suited to prosection requirements.
(b) Cadaver preparation and maintenance
- Responsible for securing, receiving, and storing of human cadavers for teaching purposes.
- Record receipt and document condition of cadavers; record the use of cadavers and ensure that appropriate labelling of parts is performed.
- Preserve bones and tissues for teaching purposes. iv. Provide students with cadavers, anatomical models and prosection specimens.
- Ensure that necessary equipment, chemicals and supplies are provided for laboratory sessions.
(c) Safety issues
- Maintain an awareness of all safe handling practices as they relate to cadaver preparation and maintenance (e.g., human blood and waste, chemicals, disposal of clinical and related waste).
- Ensure that safe and proper methods of handling are utilized during laboratory sessions. iii. Provides protective clothing and monitors levels of gases within laboratory area.
(d) Inventory matters
Ensure that an appropriate inventory of equipment and material is available. ii. Keep account of all equipment, human cadaver, models and skeletal material. iii. Assist with regular checks of the cadavers in storage, identifying and acting to correct any potential problems early.
(e) General matters
- Provide general care of equipment and perform minor repairs and reconditioning as required.
- Oversee general cleanliness of the Anatomy Laboratory.
- Observe ethics of the Anatomy Laboratory.
- Train and provide guidance to the Assistant Prosectors.
- Performs other related work as required.
Remuneration for the Post
Competitive and attractive package of salary and fringe benefits will be offered to the successful candidate.
Mode of application
Applications enclosing detailed CV’s, certified copies of all relevant academic certificates and transcripts, including form IV and VI certificates, names and addresses of three referees should be sent to the undersigned on or before Friday, 11th November 2022.
Your applications should be sent to the undersigned through Post or hand-delivery to:
The Provost Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College
P. O. Box 2240
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be notified and called for an Interview.