Inclusive Learning Through Play Curriculum Consultant
Education and Research · Nairobi or Dar es Salaam, n/a
POSITION: Inclusive Learning Through Play Curriculum Consultant
REPORTS TO: Research and Education Supervisor
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam - Tanzania / Nairobi - Kenya
DURATION: 8 Months (based on the availability of funds)
Full Time Consultant
According to the LEGO Foundation, learning through play is when the child is engaged in an activity that is joyful, helps children find meaning in what they are doing or learning, involves active, engaged, mind on thinking, iterative, and encourages social interaction. At Ubongo, we want to make sure our audience, especially children who have access to our content, encounters this experience to make their learning experience more fun.
We are looking for a Learning Through Play Consultant. Working at Ubongo will be forging new ground, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, and plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative, and flexible Learning Through Play consultant to ensure that we maintain the educational aspects of our content by including learning through play in our curriculums and content in general. You’ll work closely with our Head of Education, Disability and Inclusion Specialist, and Education and Research Supervisor, to incorporate learning through play in our curriculum, co-creation and research processes, and our content.
- Designing an inclusive curriculum for our shows and products
- Advise on the best practices of designing inclusive learning through play curriculum that is going to cater to all children including those with learning differences.
- Support the development of a LtP framework for our new show that is going to benefit all children including those with learning differences.Ubongo
- Support the incorporation of Learning through Play (LtP) in our continuous and creative research for all content and products.
- Research, document and share best practices in engaging learners with special educational needs and disabilities, especially neurodivergent learners with Autism and/or ADHD through co-creation and edutainment content
- Lead on incorporating play elements into the Ubongo content
- Reviewing all new content to make sure the researched and suggested playful moments are well incorporated into our shows.
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree or qualification in Education, Early Childhood Development, or a similar field. (A degree is not necessary for people with lived experience of neurodivergence as long as they have strong learning through play and curriculum design experience)
- Experience teaching preschool and primary school children
- Experience of curriculum development/designing especially the one that includes learning through play
- A HIGH degree of familiarity with learning through play
- Significant experience in conducting learning through play activities with children with SEND
- Ability to learn new software and research techniques as needed
- Strong analytical and written and verbal communication skills – the role will involve synthesizing information and presenting it to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work remotely (experience with Asana, Slack, and Google Drive is a bonus)
- Fluent in English and any other African Language both written and spoken
- Experience creating engaging learning resources for kids
- Experience of curriculum development
- Experience teaching or working with Autistic kids and/or kids with ADHD.
- We are ideally looking for candidates with lived experience of neurodivergence, if you are the one, you are HIGHLY encouraged to apply.
Legal and Governance · Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam
Reports to: Head of Legal
Location: Dar es Salaam with offices in South Africa and the US.
- Operational Assistance
- Risk Management Assistance
- Audit Follow Up Assistance
- Work-flow, Processes and System Implementation
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree in legal, business management, finance or a Certificate of Completion from an approved Paralegal Certification Program.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to be methodical and diligent.
- Relevant experience with risk management.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience is required for your application to be considered.
- Experience working with international NGOs, local civil society organisations, government, bilateral and multilateral donors in a multi-cultural, politically sensitive environment is an advantage.
- Analytical, problem solving skills.
ability to ‘stand firm' and resist changes suggested by people who
don’t understand the whole UBONGO business and whose ideas, if
implemented will weaken the ability for the organisation to be managed
- The ability to see very quickly ‘what’s wrong’ and what needs to correct it.
- Demonstration of "presence" and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to mediate and assist in achieving consensus.
- Flexible and creative.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in drafting commercial agreements.
Marketing, Comms and Development · Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam
UBONGO is Africa's leading producer of kids' edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 27 million kids across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 23 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, Kinyarwanda, Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Chichewa, and Juba Arabic.
We are looking for an experienced part-time graphic designer with excellent graphic design and illustration skills to join our multi-country Marketing and Communications Team. You will work collaboratively with our teams in Tanzania, South Africa, Uganda, Malawi, Kenya, Nigeria, and the US to create content pieces that help build awareness and generate demand for Ubongo’s products and services across Africa and globally. The ideal candidate must be excellent at communicating ideas visually that inspire, inform, and captivate our audience while inline with our brand’s identity , and embody our fun, child-like, innovative and inspiring brand personality .
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative and flexible Graphic Designer to support in designing captivating and inspiring visuals for marketing purposes. You’ll work closely with our Creative Marketing Manager and Community Manager to come on board full of ideas, plans and a vision on how to take our visual promotions to the next level.
We don’t just need a do-er but a go-getter as well; you must be willing to be challenged, think critically and creatively. People who work at Ubongo are passionate about education, kids, and making a difference.
- Develop and design concepts, graphics and layouts, including making decisions about fonts, images, readability and readers’ needs with Ubongo brand consistency
- Determining size and arrangement of copy and illustrative material, as well as font style and size.
- Preparing rough drafts of material based on an agreed brief.
- Keeping the team up to date, listening to and acting on feedback, and explaining the rationale behind graphic design decisions.
- Reviewing final layouts and suggesting improvements if required.
- Keeping up to date with design and software trends.
- Liaising with external printers or production teams to ensure deadlines are met and material is printed or presented to the highest quality.
- Work directly with Creative Marketing Manager to develop visual concepts
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS ESSENTIALS:
- Broad knowledge of design principles and experience as a graphic designer with evidence of work.
- Excellent graphic design skills, with the ability to refine designs with illustration software in accordance with our brand.
- Ability to digitally illustrate drawings from scratch isn’t a requirement but definitely a BONUS.
- Great time management and are a skilled task juggler. There is a LOT going on at Ubongo, and your job is to keep up with the demands!
- Great written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Tech-savvy and able to quickly figure out new software and systems. We use a huge range of different cloud-based programs to collaborate and streamline our work, including Slack, G Suite, Creative Cloud, Asana and others.
- Good listening skills and can deal with ambiguity and are able to figure things out for yourself.
- The ability to work independently and to think on your feet.
- Experience creating content for a non-profit company and/or social cause is a plus!
- A love for kids! They’re why we do what we do. Our kids’ music and videos will become part of your life (and constantly stuck in your head).
- Persistence! We have a big goal and have to get things done with limited resources.
- Courage, and are willing to speak up for what’s right, when you see wrong, or when you think there might be a better way.
- ‘UTU’ (a Swahili word for humanity). This implies that you are honest, trustworthy, transparent and conscientious.
- At least 3 years’ experience in visual content, graphic design, advertising and/or creative related field
- Educational Background required Bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual communications, fine arts or related discipline
- Should be ready to start in as soon as possible
- Advanced experience with Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience with motion design and animation (not required but preferred)
- Experience with the social networking space, and digital and mobile formats
- Experience with concept creation, style frame creation and storyboarding
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like a delicious healthy lunch at the office , flexible working hours and working remotely and you get to watch cartoons at work.
Digital · Remote, Remote
Position: UI/UX Designer (Consultant)
Location: Africa (Remote)
Position: Full Time
Reports To: Head of Digital
Contract Type: Term (5+ months)
Ubongo is building brains and building change for families across Africa through fun edutainment on accessible technologies. We’re a social enterprise founded and based in Dar es Salaam, and we broadcast our shows Akili and Me and Ubongo Kids across the continent. We’re getting ready to expand our offices and operations into new markets, so we’re looking for energetic and self-starting new Ubongoers to join the team as we grow. Working here won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you, with lots of responsibility, plenty of fun, and the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a creative and capable UI/UX Designer who is confident working as part of a team, with a human centred design approach, to translate user and team needs into user interface and experience designs for various products (mostly mobile applications).
1. Apply Human-centred design methods to craft great user experiences for our new and existing products:
- Use tools like Figma to translate user and team requirements into functional designs,
- Get to know our users (adults and kids) by participating in user testing sessions, throughout the product development process,
- Deliver multiple iterations of user interfaces
- Clearly present work to colleagues and other stakeholders
- Create responsive and adaptive designs that adjust smoothly to various screen sizes and devices
- Review, edit and upgrade existing projects.
- Where required, design graphic assets to be integrated in digital products
- Get to know the full product development process at Ubongo, and understand your role in the process
- Communicate effectively using email, conference calls and face-to-face meetings when necessary
- Be ready to take feedback from colleagues on your work
- Get to know Ubongo's existing brand and style guides.
- Document your design process in an " Ubongo UI/UX Playbook"
- A portfolio of work showing UI/UX design skill
- At least 3 years of work experience with UI/UX design
- Completed training in design is a bonus
- An understanding of responsive and adaptive design principles
- Able to present your work to various stakeholders
- Comfortable interacting with users (adults and kids)
- Experience working with Figma
- Have a can-do attitude and readiness to learn on the job as Ubongo creates innovative new digital products
- Good at dealing with ambiguity and able to figure things out independently
- Self-motivation and a high level of responsibility to complete tasks in a timely manner and make significant progress with or without direct supervision
- Comfort dealing with and understanding digital products (apps, video etc.)
- Passion for Ubongo’s vision of bringing localized edutainment to learners across Africa
- Team player
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Someone who loves kids
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like delicious healthy lunch at the office and you get to watch cartoons at work.