Mine Closure Manager
Position: Mine Closure Manager
Reporting to: General Manager
Duration: 3 years
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
- Review of the approved mine closure plan including the TSF and waste rock dump closure designs to understand the detailed objectives, designs and activities required to effectively close mine.
- Identify closure activities in terms of objectives, principal work streams, personnel, equipment, timelines, and budgets. Manage environmental programs and compliance function mine wide
- Liaise with Corporate Environmental Services to coordinate environmental audits and plant inspections
- Gathers, interprets and organizes information on environmental policy, permits, requirements, government regulatory proposal, changes, permit renewals, pending legislation and changing company direction. Prepares recommendations to upper management for implementation of new environmental systems, procedures or organizational changes. Conducts operational effectiveness reviews to ensure environmental compliance
- Consult with all departments, government agencies both at local and national level on environmental compliance needs or problems, determine scope of investigation and make recommendations for regulatory based solutions
- Plans, directs and coordinates activities, modification and maintenance of environmental equipment and machinery
- Analyses power plant environmental structure, responsibilities, teamwork, operating procedures, processes and work flow to devise most efficient methods of accomplishing work.
- Promotes favourable public image of company through community outreach programmes such as guided mine tours, educational public speaking community environmental stewardship and liaison with the press and printed media
- Maintains contingency plans, including evacuation, notification, safety, reporting and subsequent monitoring requirements. Establishes controls, control of Safety perimeter, communications and response functions until emergency and/or regulatory personnel arrive in the event of a major chemical or environmental emergency to protect employee health, environment and company assets.
- Coordinates implementation of emergency off site contingency plans for environmental data processing, develops plan to meet emergency data processing needs, identifies key personnel required to implement plan. Maintains backup of files and disaster recovery plans.
- Provide liaison between the AME Sustainability Manager, technical disciplines as well as vendors involved in the closure project.
- Responsible for closure schedule preparation & regular updates, pre-planning and resource forecasting for the mine closure & rehabilitation activities.
- Supervise vendors involved with mine closure to ensure their performance and timely completion of tasks according to the schedule and set KPIs.
- Manage the closure team resources and training and develop extensive closure project experience.
- Ensure effective systems and procedures are in place to execute the closure activities.
- Manage costs associated with closure activities under your supervision.
- Minimize costs while ensuring that all company and regulatory obligations are met.
- Coordinate, control and monitor the implementation of environmental and safety standards and procedures to minimize accidents and incidents during the active mine closure period.
- Provide technical advice in planning, scheduling and prioritizing the heavy equipment usage in all Mine Closure activities and works to optimize the utilization.
- Provide advice in coordinating, controlling and monitoring the equipment usage to ensure high mechanical availability and reliability.
- Provide technical guidance for operating heavy equipment in specific condition, in order to optimize the heavy equipment utilization.
- Execute all tasks as assigned by the Mine General Manager
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent qualification in Environmental Management.
- Degree in Natural Sciences, Engineering, and/or Management Studies followed by postgraduate qualification in Environmental Management.
- Professional registration with Environmental Management body will be an added advantage.
- Further advanced qualification in mining, mineral economics, management or other related area will be well regarded.
- (10) Years of experience in Mining Mine Closure/Reclamation Planning and Execution.
- At least ten (10) years’ experience as an environment practitioner with at least five (5) years in a senior supervisory role – the majority of this experience should be in the mining industry.
- Demonstrated project management skills and environmental auditing experience.
- Experience with monitoring, analysis, evaluation and reporting of environmental data.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to solve problems and lead by example.
- General knowledge of mining industry and mine closure concepts.
- The ability to work within budgets and to deadlines.
- Project Management skills.
- Excellent IT skills and CAD software usage. Surpac knowledge is essential. Knowledge of ArcGIS and other related software is also essential.
- Great organizational skills.
- Excellent language (English), report writing and presentation skills.
- The ability to explain designs and plans clearly.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Confident decision-making ability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Sufficient knowledge and ability to speak intelligently within the various disciplines.
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills.
- Highly proactive and achievement oriented.
A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses, benefits, and where applicable.
Ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
Method of Application Applicants are invited to submit their CV’s/Resume’s, careful read application guidelines Rename your CV in this format CV – YOUR FULL NAME Indicating the role title “CLOSURE MANAGER “ in the subject of your email
Send your application via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not contacted by Barrick – Buzwagi Gold Mine within thirty (30) days after the closing date, you should consider your application as unsuccessful. Short listed candidates may be subjected to any of the following: security clearance; competency assessment; physical capability assessment, reference checking.
Please forward applications before 10th May, 2021.