Position: Business Development Manager - Tanzania
Location: Dar es Salaam, 02, TZ
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Plan has been working in Tanzania since 1991, and is delivering programs in 13 regions, including through an extension office in the capital Dodoma, head office in Dar es Salaam, field office for the humanitarian response program (Kibondo), and field offices in six rural and remote locations. We support children to access their rights through our programming in Child Protection, Education, Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health, WASH and Youth Economic Empowerment. Our work includes community-based action, partner strengthening, and advocacy. Disaster risk reduction is integrated in all the work we do, and Plan is committed to providing disaster response support in case of humanitarian disaster. Plan is currently implementing a humanitarian response program in Kigoma region supporting the Burundi refugee emergency in Tanzania.
The Business Development Manager manages the Business Development Unit (BDU). The BDU is responsible for identifying funding opportunities in line with Plan Tanzania’s priorities, leading the production of successful grant proposals in coordination with program colleagues, and supporting grant holders during implementation on donor contract compliance.
The Business Development Manager leads Plan Tanzania’s efforts to achieve country fundraising targets and supports the Country Office to develop strong relationships with National Organisations (NOs) and donors.
Do you have what it takes?
- The post holder will report to the Country Director and will be a member of Country Management Team.
- S/he will directly supervise three staff in the Business Development Unit (BDU.) The post holder will manage a departmental budget and has delegated financial authority for expenditures of up to US$100,000.
- In line with the Country Strategic Plan and the income target for Tanzania, the incumbent will be responsible for implementing a resource mobilization strategy and periodically revising the strategy, expanding and diversifying the institutional donor portfolio as well as the corporate donor base (including locally based corporate partners).
- The post holder will work proactively with NOs to identify and win appropriate grant opportunities including leading the development and writing of successful grant proposals with relevant departments.
- The post holder will also manage an Awards Specialist who will ensure strong donor and contract compliance and linkages between projects in implementation and in design. In all activities, the post holder will use participatory training and coaching approaches with teams, to progressively build capacity in the relevant skill areas.
Knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrable knowledge as a result of study, training and practical experience on grants acquisition;
- Knowledge of the various donors’ strategic interests, priorities and requirements;
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
- Proven strategic relationship management skills, including negotiation skills
- Marketing skills
- Coaching, mentoring, training and facilitation skills
- High level of computer proficiency.
- Ability to maintain strategic vision and link with everyday work
- Clear and effective communication that builds relationships in order to influence others
- Proactive, demonstrates record of creativity and entrepreneurship
- Accountability and responsibility for own performance
- Promotes team work and cooperation
- Confident in taking initiative and exploring new opportunities
Location: To be based in Dar es Salaam
Type of Role: 3 year Fixed term contract
Reports to: Country Director
Grade: Competitive Salary and Package available
Closing Date: 02/03/2020
Anticipated 1st round interview: 09/03/2020
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organisational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.