Starting university is like starting a new life. When students leave home for university, they embark on a new journey, one that of self-reliance and self-discovery, which largely shapes up their outlook on life in the longer run. Most students are not prepared for the challenges of university and end up being overwhelmed, which results in them taking extra time to adjust to their new life. That is fine, as long as you eventually get comfortable with university life, but a far better course of action would be to prepare yourself, mentally and emotionally, for any problem you may face at college and university level.
Here are a few issues you should be ready to deal with as a university student.
1. Adjustment to New Life Whether you are a student experiencing the campus environment for the first time or going back to the campus life after spending the vacation at home, there will be a period of adjustment, more so in the first scenario. The first year of university is always extra hard when it comes to adjustment to university life so you should be expecting to at least get a culture shock because of how different things would be compared to home or school. Additionally, it is important to not get in a frenzy over getting everything right. Give yourself some time, and expect to get a little bamboozled, but always stay confident that eventually you will come to love the university life.
2. Homesickness Since it is the first time being away from home for most students, homesickness can strike very hard. However, thanks to the modern means of communication, most students feeling homesick can stay connected with their parents, family members and friends over the internet.
3. Pressure of Studies Most students are paying their education expenses themselves the have no boom and tuition fee which is offered by loan board HESLB so the pressure on them to get good grades is immense. Even if it is not them paying, there are still massive social and educational repercussions of not succeeding in the studies. Students should expect the studies to be much harder than before, and at the same time, should focus more on learning rather than getting a good GPA.
4. Time Management: Time is a very important thing for anyone especially for a University students. Time management has been a problem for many students where most of them have been unable to schedule what to do in a timely manner and therefore wasting time easily, and this have a great impact on students’ performance where there is a time where you find you being overloaded with academic issues like assignments, self-study and others, They sleep in irregular patterns and do everything at the last minute. This kind of behavior is unsustainable and therefore, you need to at least set a rough timetable and start utilizing your time much more efficiently. You will be surprised at the amount of free time you’ll start to have on your hands.
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here!
5. Finding New Friends It is difficult to make friends at a new place, but don’t make the mistake of thinking that you will have to fit in with people who have different interests in order to make new friends at university. You can be yourself and find friends at the same time, you just have to be patient and involve yourself in activities that you like.
6. Housing Problems You may get a place in the hostel or dorm, but it is really difficult to find student accommodation that is right for you. You have to consider factors such as distance, rent rates, facilities, roommates etc. Students face housing problems all the time so if you can, have a place ready before you leave home. Student accommodation is a big issue in Tanzania universities so you have to be prepared early.
7. Enjoyment relaxing is not a bad thing as it helps you overcome academic stress to some extent but many University students prefer more enjoyment than the lessons and they find that they spend more time for enjoying and have less time to study at the end of the day they perform poor