Who we are
Girl Effect is a non-profit working with girls to change their lives, empowering them to navigate the pivotal time of adolescence, so they are enabled to live a healthy life, participate in school, and prepare for their future financially.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We equip girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the role
Girl Effect thrives to make maximum impact and measure its impact in the most effective ways. This role is critical new management one to ensure the Tanzania team design and deliver the most effective MEL that effectively informs, monitors and evaluates the design and delivery of Tujibebe against the brand’s objectives. This objective is met both in terms of gathering insight to enable us to program for high impact, but also measuring that impact.
What you will do
Programme Design, Delivery, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work closely with the Country and E & I global teams on the MEL initiatives for all donor funded programmes such as GAVI, Hilton, USAID, FCDO program, including monitoring data quality, tracking the progress of activities, baseline and evaluation, research and contributing to staff and partner capacity building initiatives as necessary
- With GAVI and other program team and partners, define quantitative and qualitative indicators and tools to monitor program progress
- Support the program team and partners to properly document, organize and capture program progress
- Prepare the periodic MEL reports for all donor funded programmes
- Support Program Lead in preparing and reviewing donor reports to ensure high quality reports are submitted on time and ensure that donor, partner, and management queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provide high quality technical and methodological guidance to support development of GE proposals to funders
- Lead the implementation of the market research strategy including the provision of strategic oversight and quality control of all market research activities, including survey design, data collection, data analysis reporting and learning
- Manage the market research budget and prioritise resources to maximize the value of research and evidence generation activities
- Collaborate department level managers and communications colleagues to ensure the effective coordination of research and uptake of learnings
- Develop research partnerships with local and international research organisations to maximise opportunities for cost-sharing and joint learning
- Work closely with the create team in collaboration with Gender and SBCC manager and Safeguarding in creating impactful and measurable products
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Keep abreast of developments in all donor funded program changes and progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and results
- Build and refine systems that facilitate data collection, management and flow within and across programs
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in existing data collection and management systems and propose solutions
- Conduct, and/or support staff, consultants and contractors to conduct, program and project evaluations
- Develop institutional structures for lesson-learning and durability of learning on quality assurance related to accurate and efficient data collection and other MEL processes
- Contribute thought leadership and technical support to critical reflection on MEL results and sharing of lessons with program staff, partners and stakeholders
Who you are
- At least 8 years of experience in MEL in development settings with a range of donors such as USAID, Path, GAVI, FCDO, Foundations; field/country office experience critical
- Significant experience in data management, including use of quantitative and qualitative analysis software and report writing skills
- Extensive experience in designing and undertaking research, evaluations, and other studies
- Technical knowledge and experience in sexual reproductive health
- Experienced manager in designing tools and strategies for quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis and production of reports across geographies, cultures, organizations and networks
- Experience with donor MEL reporting requirements
- Advanced skills with Excel, PowerPoint, word processing and data analysis
- Excellent writing, editing, content development and presentation skills
- Knowledge on sexual reproductive health programming and SBCC interventions
- Ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and direct style
- Experienced manager able to guide teams to deliver, at the same being hands-on on delivery
- Excellent multicultural and interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to facilitate relationships and interact effectively with others inside and outside the organization and a proven ability to engage with staff, collaborators and partners from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Self-starting, independent and able to take initiative
- Highly organized
- Ability to listen, communicate, and work with teams
- Faciliatory skills
- Ability to operationalize strategy into action for the function
- Ability to work independently and self-motivated
- High levels of integrity and honesty
- Being able to guide teams to deliver, at the same being hands-on on delivery
Education and Knowledge
- Master’s degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Development Economics, Public Health, or related fields
- Professional qualification in MEL or related field is an added advantage
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those we work with and for, especially children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment, uphold standards in our safeguarding policy and our code of conduct. In particular:
- o take reasonable steps to prevent any harm caused by Girl Effect
- To report any safeguarding concerns through the reporting pathways
This role is subject to a standard background disclosure.
This role is being recruited as a 12 month fixed term contract.
Ability to travel for extended periods of time – up to 20 – 30% of time is a requirement for this role.
Closing date for applications: 5th May 2023