Financial Accountant at Britam
Financial Accountant – (23000030)
Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
To assist in the attainment of the company’s financial management objectives and effectively learn, grasp and perform such insurance accounting duties as may be assigned from time to time.
1. To supervise cashiers ensuring all receipts and payments are properly posted in correct account codes
2. To ensure prompt and accurate receipting of company monies in form of Cash, Cheque or remittance advice for electronic transfers.
3. To perform bank reconciliations and ensuring that unreconciled items are followed up timely.
4. To ensure that all Cash and Cheques received are banked promptly as per the company policies.
5. To review, verify and monitor the petty cash accounting.
6. To maintain Fixed Asset Register of the company.
7. To ensure correct accounting of investments and investments income and preparation of investments schedules.
8. To monitor the general ledger ensuring that all transactions are posted into correct accounts and carry out regular reconciliations and ensure reconciliations statements are prepared and reviewed on monthly basis.
9. To assist in preparation of monthly management accounts by ensuring that accrual and prepayment schedules are prepared on timely fashion.
10. To make sure that all statutory returns (i.e. VAT, Withholding tax) are accurately filed and paid to the authorities in time
11. To maintain relevant supporting documents for all transactions (filing). All receipts and payments must be supported by relevant documents.
12. To attend to internal and external auditors.
13. To train, develop, supervise and mentor the direct reports.
14. To perform any other duties assigned by supervisor(s).
15. Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, Balanced Scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
Key Performance Measures
· Turnaround time
· Accuracy of posting & payments
· Compliance to accounting and company policies and procedures
· Insurance Debtors
· Investment income
· Bank reconciliation
· Accountable to the Chief Accountant
· Required to liaise and work closely with all staff
· Britam customers
· Service providers
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Actuarial or any relevant qualification
2. CPA (T) or equivalent professional Qualification
3. Five (5) years’ experience in a similar position desirable
4. Analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills
6. Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
7. Knowledge of insurance regulatory requirements
8. Proficiency in computerized accounting applications such as AIMS, SIRIUS,ERP, INSIS systems and Microsoft office software (word, excel, PowerPoint)
1. Learning and Researching: Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making at management level; learns from successes and failures and seeks colleague and customer feedback.
2. Working with People: Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
3. Applying Expertise and Technology: Applies specialist and technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
4. Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations: Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; exhibits high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains own quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
5. Following Instructions and Procedures: Follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
6. Adhering to Principles and Values: Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; accepts diversity; display individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
Primary Location: Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar es Salaam-Dar es Salaam
Organization: International Insurance Business
Job Type: Permanent
Shift: Day Job
Contract Type: Full-time
Job Posting: 17-04-2023
Unposting Date: 21-04-2023
Number of Openings: 1