Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) – an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a not-for-profit international organization that supports social development programs in Tanzania. It has completed a major expansion to position the institution to become a leading and integrated tertiary and teaching health care system in Tanzania.
At AKHST, we believe life continues after a cancer diagnosis – especially when there’s a team of doctors, specialists, and nurses committed to patient-centered care. We are seeking for a qualified and experienced clinical oncologist who can rise to our high standards of cancer care and groundbreaking research. The ideal candidate should be caring, compassionate and listens to every patient’s concern, preferences, and needs in order to help achieve the best outcome. This requires a keen understanding of the latest techniques in diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy, as well as newer techniques such as interventional radiology and immunotherapy.
Above all, the Clinical Oncologist should have a passion for meeting the needs of patients and their families in every phase of their cancer journey (prevention, diagnosis, treatment, palliative care, and survivorship).
We are seeking for enthusiastic, qualified and experienced Clinical Oncologist as described below:
Clinical Oncologist – (1 POSITION)
REPORTING TO THE HEAD OF INTERNAL MEDICINE DEPARTMENT
Clinical Oncologist will be responsible for efficient delivery of oncology services to patients. He/she will be expected to be an active member of the multidisciplinary health care team and contribute to the continuing professional development programs in the Hospital.
- To Ordertests-including biopsy, blood, and imaging – to confirm cancer diagnosis.
- Provide patients with detailed information
- regarding cancer, their prognosis, and possible interventions ortreatment options. Develop appropriate treatment plans, with measurable goals, that provide the highest level of care while conforming to patient preference.
- Maintain quality of life for patients by managing cancer-related pain and the symptoms and side effects of treatment. Reassess as disease treatment progresses and pursue alternative therapies or palliative care when necessary.
- Participate in training sessions and correspondence for study protocols and clinical trials, and ensure that patient confidentiality is always maintained.
- To participate in various health education and awareness activities (e.g. radio, Television shows, social media and print) that will increase project visibility and patient referrals.
- To participate in cancer screening activities and clinical camps both in the community and health facilities.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to accurately assess patient needs and develop appropriate treatment plans. Participate as a key member of the patient- care team in implementing treatment plans and monitoring patient progress.
- Participate in multidisciplinary tumor board discussions both local and regional.
- Utilize and promote approved standards of care, procedures, methods, techniques, safety precautions, and study protocols. Participate in the development, review, and evaluation of standard operating procedures and study-specific procedures. Mentor junior doctors and medical students, perform auditing and research, and attend conferences and committee meetings.
- Any other roles assigned by the Supervisor.
- Minimum Master’s of Medicine (MMED) in Clinical Oncology or equivalent.
- Training in Radiation Oncology/Hemato- oncology from recognized institution will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 3 years of Relevant Clinical Experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, caregivers, and other medical professionals.
- Motivation to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in research and/or clinical protocols.
- Ability to interpret clinical, genomic and efficacy data.
How to Apply:
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS. APPLICATION LETTER, CV AND EDUCATION CERTIFICATES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY TO: email@example.com WITH THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE POSITION.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON MONDAY, 30th JANUARY, 2023
“AKHS is concerned about the climate and environmental crises we face and is doing everything possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this field to apply”