The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 4,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party (COP) for a Health Facility Electrification and Telecommunication Alliance (HETA) activity. The activity will advance sub-Saharan Africa’s goals to improve the health and well-being of communities by drawing on private sector capacity and resources to provide rural and semi-rural health facilities with clean, reliable electricity generation and Internet connectivity. The activity will address the challenges in health electrification through a market-based approach, leveraging technical and financial resources. These efforts will complement USAID’s Global Health Strategy and the USAID Climate Strategy through the promotion and uptake of cleaner, renewable energy solutions that sustainably power health facilities, advancing better health while mitigating air pollution and creating employment and business opportunities.
As Chief of Party, you are responsible for leadership of the HETA project in Tanzania and ensuring the effective implementation of the project. You will represent the HETA project in the country and be responsible for coordination among key local stakeholders including national, regional, and local government, private sector partners, other implementing partners and donor agencies. You will ensure the project achieves results including project deliverables and targets in an effective and compliant manner.
You will promote collaboration with other similar projects, government decision makers, and stakeholders to ensure the alignment of this project with their priorities and guidelines. This activity will focus on both the public and private sectors.
This position will be based in Dar es Salaam and cover activities nationwide.
- Provide management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the project ensuring full alignment with national and international standards.
- Oversee the implementation of the project ensuring the achievement of all project deliverables and targets in a timely manner.
- Effectively represent Abt and the project and build and maintain excellent, productive relationships with government counterparts, private sector partners, relevant civil society organizations and donor agencies and serve as a leader in the energy and health community.
- Provide vision and guidance to the project staff.
- Identify obstacles and risks related to implementation in a timely manner and implement strategies to overcome them.
- Ensure implementation of accountability mechanisms to foster quality and ensure client’s rights and choice.
- Supervise and oversee the work of project staff, project partners and subcontractors.
- Exercise sound financial management skills including effective project spending.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team; ensure strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations and internal controls.
- Guide the learning agenda for the project, use lessons learned to modify project approaches and strategies, and disseminate findings.
- Lead the development of the strategy for scale up of the project.
- Create strong partnerships with other implementing partners working in the energy and health sectors.
- Review technical materials to ensure high quality products.
- Effectively liaise with headquarters departments to support project operational success.
- Prepare and consolidate information for client and internal reports and conduct preliminary reviews.
- Ensure proper oversite over procurements.
What We Value
- Bachelor’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Ten years of relevant experience, or PhD+ Eight years of relevant experience
- Master’s Degree in relevant field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including 5 years in managing complex energy or health programs or programs of similar scope and size.
- Experience engaging private sector partners
- Proven experience in administration, financial management, award compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs.
- Excellent management and organizational skills to lead teams to deliver high quality program results.
- Demonstrated strategic vision for the energy and/or health sector, leadership qualities, depth and breadth of technical and management expertise and experience.
- Excellent professional reputation and a proven success interacting with host country government agencies, counterparts, donors, and international experts.
- Proven ability to gather data and document program activities, successes, and lessons learned.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Local languages an advantage.
- Experience with USAID or other donors.
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone, and while we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expand upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.