Mercy Corps Tanzania is currently running one program nationwide namely CREATE which is funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office through the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF). The Collective Resilience Against Extremism (CREATE) programme engage local and national government, local civil society organizations and communities to mitigate the drivers, enablers, and narratives of violent extremism in East Africa through support to policy initiatives, community engagement, and community level interventions in order to prevent the recruitment of vulnerable individuals by violent extremist Organizations
We are presently looking for a committed individual to take up the position of Operations Officer.
Describe overview of job mission
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Operations officer will report directly to the Country Coordinator. Supporting operations, program, and Finance Department under the direction of the Director of Operations, Country Coordinator and Senior Finance and HR officer.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Read and comply with Mercy Corps procurement management policies and procedures. Assist, when required with training staff on these policies;
- Assist staff when required with creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Collect quotations and bids from vendors for Purchase Requests as assigned by manager – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations and ensure that vendors will use Mercy Corps forms properly;
- Ensure fair competition and strict adherence to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations
- Maintain up to date Mercy Corps Procurement data management system;
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards, including Purchase Request, Request for Quotations, Quotations Analysis, Purchase order / Contracts, Good Received Note, Purchase Records and Payment Requests;
- Ensure procurement files are well maintained in orderly and up to date systematically in hard and electronic forms. These include regular review of on-going and master PR lists;
- Coordinate with Finance department to ensure that, payments to vendors and service providers are made on time and without any unnecessary strain on the Mercy Corps financial systems. In cooperation with finance staff, help to ensure compliance with established financial management rules and procedures for Tanzania-based procurement actions;
- Ensure all Mercy Corps procurement activities are legal and ethical;
- Arrange travel, accommodation and transportation needs of Tanzania staff.
- Read and comply with Mercy Corps Field Asset Management Manual for asset management procedures.
- Ensure maintenance of proper inventory of all equipment and fittings belonging to Mercy Corps program in Tanzania.
- Monitor and implement asset tracking system including use of asset tags, movement of assets, disposal of assets and update asset registry both manually and electronically including proper registration of newly purchased assets.
- Coordinate with Administration and IT to ensure timely tracking of assets including those assigned to staff.
- Ensure proper management and coordination of staff travel arrangements including transport and security
- Ensure good general office management and controlled usage of MC office supplies
- Ensure adherence to Mercy Corps administrative policies by MC staff. Provide guidance to MC staff, as needed.
- Manage and renew office and house/apartment rental agreements.
- Establish and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence.
- Co-ordinate any other necessary travel and office management details including the maintenance of the premises.
- Preparing comprehensive, accurate and timely monthly reports.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Country Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Country Coordinator, other Tanzania program and support staff, Finance, and operations staff in Nairobi.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Procurement, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, banking and finance;
- Minimum two years’ work experience preferably for a bank, MNO, financial institution, non-governmental organization or a reputable international or national organization;
- Excellent computer, verbal and written communication skills, including report development, writing and editing;
- Competent in Word and Excel
- Excellent inter-personal skills, highly pro-active and self-disciplined;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Willingness to travel.
A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday 31st December 2021 by 4.00pm. The email subject line must clearly show the job title. Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)
NB: Mercy Corps does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process
WE ENCOURAGE QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO APPLY.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.