NBC is the oldest serving bank in Tanzania with over five decades of experience. We offer a range of retail, business, corporate and investment banking, wealth management products and services.
JOB TITTLE:Head of Legal and Company Secretary
To lead the Legal and Company Secretary Function in National Bank of Commerce (NBC). To support the group General Counsel in the identification and management of legal risk across NBC and to provide legal advice to the NBC Senior Leadership Team as necessary. To provide company secretarial support to the NBC Board of Directors and NBC Executive Committees. To manage a team of (5) lawyers in delivery of legal services to NBC functions
- To lead the Legal unit and providing strategic direction and focus
- To perform company secretarial duties of the bank
- Contribute to the development of NBC strategy through the identification of legal risk
- Provide legal advice to senior management team as required, to ensure that legal issues are identified and resolved, and that legal risk is managed appropriately
- Pro-active and timely identification and management of legal risk arising in the conduct of business in Tanzania
- Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of bank’s legal and regulatory framework, address all elements which fall under the scope
- To support business in the effective management Legal matters and ensure the Legal Control resources are sufficient at all times, and capable to deliver on all key elements.
- To assist in the effective management of relation with key Country legal bodies and external lawyers
- To ensure that appropriate policies and procedures are in place and embedded to meet Group, legal and local regulatory requirements.
- To support the management on due diligence investigations of potential acquisitions assist it to make sensible decisions on legal aspect
- To ensure that the business has an effective program for raising awareness of relevant issues relating to legal matters and provide relevant training programs to enhance the knowledge of management and other colleagues
- To ensure the Legal related matters are well managed and monitored within acceptable level, timely and proactively advise the management on appropriate course of actions.
- To represent the bank in all legal related matters and ensure the best interest of the business is embedded in good faith
Bachelor Honours Degree – Law, Commercial mindset – Senior (Meets all of the requirements), Digital familiarity (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), English, Ethics and values (Meets all of the requirements), Experience in a similar environment at management level, Leading people – Leadership level (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Legal Advisory and Interpretation (Meets all of the requirements), Openness to change (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Reasoning (Meets all of the requirements)