Re-Advertisement: Child and Youth Protection and Development (CYPD) Senior Manager
Kasulu, Tanzania, United Republic of
Posted: 05th May, 2021
Requisition ID: req13886
Job Title: Child and Youth Protection and Development (CYPD) Senior Manager
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Tanzania has been a country of asylum since the 1970’s. Currently, the country hosts approximately 280,000 Burundian and Congolese refugees and asylum seekers. Tanzania champions the rights of children through
Within this context, IRC provides protection and basic assistance in the areas of Child and Youth Protection and Development, Protection and Rule of Law, mainstreaming Disability Inclusion, Women’s Protection and Empowerment, and Mental health, Sexual Reproductive Health Care services, and Education both in refugee camps and amongst Tanzanian host communities and incorporates research in the Kigoma region. Outside the refugee context in the past years, the IRC has worked to respond to Child Labour through Education and on Parenting Interventions.
IRC’s child protection program currently focuses on Protection services through six safe healing and learning spaces, strengthening community-based child protection mechanisms and parenting education. The youth program will continue to build leadership capacities of youth, create access to services at three youth centers, promoting sports and arts among the youth, facilitating peer educations, and supporting youth-led businesses and building life skills.
The Child and Youth Protection and Development (CYPD) Senior Manager is expected to ensure all child protection and youth projects are implemented within agreed timeframe and budget. The post holder will be responsible for directly supervising children protection and youth program staff and strengthen their capacity in delivering protection outcomes for children, managing projects, document and incorporate lessons learnt in program implementation and respond to challenges in operational areas in both refugee camps and host communities. The post holder will also represent IRC in technical coordination forums and follow-up on the implementation of agreed action points. He/she will be responsible for coordinating on the development of monitoring and evaluation plan and follow-up on implementation with strong focus on addressing data quality issues and through analysis to inform program design and implementation with the M&E Coordinator.
The CYPD portfolio is currently modest in size and includes a range of projects, to deliver direct child protection services and to provide child protection capacity and expertise into IRC’s other sector led programs, particularly education.
Working with the Deputy Director of Programs, Country Management Team and regional and global technical staff, the role will have a dual mandate of supporting delivery and working on strategic issues to strengthen IRC’s child protection portfolio, working closely with local partners and generating donor income where the organization is able to demonstrate significant added value.
The position is based in Kasulu and reports to the Deputy Director of Programmes and is supported by the CP Technical Advisor.
Program Implementation and monitoring and evaluation
· Lead the implementation of all of IRC projects in child protection and youth development streams including the development of detail implementation and spending plans and follow-up on progress
· Ensure all projects are implemented according to agreed donor requirements and internal IRC guidelines
· Conduct regular meetings with project staff and community members to assess progress toward objectives, incorporate learning from front-line project staff, discuss challenges and assist in finding solutions to challenges identified.
· Review project budget spending and closely track progress and address any challenges, including representing CYPD in the monthly BvA meetings
Work with M&E team and grants to
ensure project achievements and challenges are properly documented and
communicated both within internally and externally
· Support staff and lead in the compilation of donor reports and periodic updates as needed.
· Closely coordinate with relevant IRC departments (other technical sectors (particularly education) and Supply Chain, Grants, Finance and HR) to ensure smooth implementation of all CYPD projects
Representation & Partnership
· Represent IRC in sector coordination meetings and interagency activities and promote IRC’s leadership in child protection and youth development programs
· Participate in interagency assessments and trainings
· Manage and develop, where appropriate, partnerships with the government of Tanzania, UN agencies and other I/NGOs and local partners
Program Management and Business Development
· Compile learning from project implementation to inform the design of future programs
· Manage budget development and activity plans for new proposals and concept papers with support from finance and grants
· Lead the development of communication materials highlighting the achievement of IRC and the impact it brings to the people served by IRC projects
· Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
· Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures and the IRC way.
· Participate in recruiting, training, and mentorship of CYPD staff
- Degree in Social Work, Community Development or relevant Social Science discipline with at least 5 years of relevant work experience two of which are managing teams. Relevant extensive work experience may compensate for absence of degree in some cases.
- Experience in Child Protection, preferably in emergency and strong background in case management and psychosocial support.
- Community engagement experiences with different stakeholders and government representatives and in Child Participatory techniques.
- Experiences in managing projects and grants. Project design experience desirable.
- Experiences in managing, supervising and coaching staff.
- Experience in Monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Experiences working with child protection in protracted refugee situations including camp-based systems desirable..
- Experiences with humanitarian coordination mechanism and liaising with relevant stakeholders, including government ministries.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative required.
- Excellent IT skills: knowledge of MS Word; Excel and Outlook required. Excellent command in English written and oral skills and Swahili is required. Kirundi\French are a plus