POSITION: Human Resources Specialist (HRS)
SALARY: Compensation is negotiable within a pre-determined range, based on salary history and experience. Non-cash benefits include medical, retirement and others where applicable.
OPENING DATE: December 27, 2023
CLOSING DATE: January 12, 2024 (17:00pm Tanzania Time)
WORK HOURS: Full -Time / 40 hours/per week
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
These are Personal Service Contract (PSC) position, to be based at Peace Corps’ office in Oyster Bay,
Dar es Salaam. They are full-time, 40 hours per week positions. The schedule may vary, based on operational requirements and may include evening, holiday and weekend work. The anticipated contract will be for a base period, with up to four option periods, exercisable at the unilateral option of the Peace Corps based on satisfactory performance, continued need for the position, and availability of funds. Preference will be given to personal services candidates who are citizens of Tanzania at the time of application.
Objective of Position:
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director of Management and Operations (DDMO), the Human Resource Specialist (HRS) coordinates all personnel actions for Peace Corps Tanzania in accordance with Post-specific and United States Government policies. The contractor is responsible for developing and assuring implementation of the human resource policies, systems and procedures, providing technical support for staff development and capacity building as well as ensuring compliance with PC policy while respecting local labor laws.
The HRS facilitates the recruitment, orientation, and support of employees throughout their contractual period in addition to working closely with the DDMO on a wide variety of tasks in a busy and diverse setting. The contractor serves as the principal advisor to Post management on all personnel related issues and is the point person for all benefits related matters.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Selection
- Coordinates all recruitment procedures including developing and posting announcements, organizing interview panels, scheduling interviews, and reviewing candidates for minimum qualifications.
- Provide guidance to supervisors and staff regarding accurate and updated Statements of Work.
- Organizes, performs, and coordinates orientation and induction program of new hires. • Primary POC to staff for benefits, such as health insurance and insurance card issuance/renewal or any related issues.
- Assists with staff capacity analysis and works with DDMO and DMO to determine where skills gaps exist to formulate management strategies.
- Ensure timely and complete mid-year and annual performance reviews for all staff.
- Under direction from the DDMO, prepares and determines all relevant information to be included in Personal Service Contracts, including estimated costs of contracts, fiscal coding, correct clauses and attachments, and assuring all requirements, such as security clearances, are met both before and during the contractual period.
- Coordinates with the department hiring the contractor to ensure that a Statement of Work and other necessary requirements are included in the contract. Ensures that the contract is prepared and is signed by the Contracting Officer and the contractor prior to the incumbent’s first day of work. Ensures that contract payments are processed per terms stated in the Personal Service Contracts.
Administrative and Financial Support
- Ensure complete confidentiality regarding all information related to Peace Corps Staff and Volunteers, including Peace Corps Tanzania operations.
- Cross-functional coordination of all staff issues in the various departments for effective employee satisfaction.
- Will service as Alternate Cashier and Purchase Card Holder
Qualifications and Evaluations:
Applicants must address each qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
1. Education Requirements:
– Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or related field
– English Level IV (fluent) and Swahili Level IV (fluent) in speaking/reading/writing is required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both languages required.
3. Work Experience:
– Three (3) years of experience in Human Resource Management in a dynamic environment
4. Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, and training and development.
- Strong computer and organizational skills, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strict adherence to ethical standards of confidentiality and professional conduct.
- In-depth understanding of Tanzanian Labor laws.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision; good organization and time management skills; willingness to take the initiative; excellent teamwork skills; strong service attitude; personal integrity; strong cross-cultural skills; strong interpersonal skills and strong interest in Tanzania’s development. In addition, the candidate should be flexible, highly organized, creative and able to multi-task.
- Ability to work on a team and maintain good working relationships with Peace Corps staff (U.S. and Tanzanian) and Volunteers.
Note: See How to Apply instructions below.
Contract offer is contingent on availability of funds, reference checks, background check, medical examination, submission of proof of required vaccinations or other medical information.
All applicants must identify in the application whether or not they have ever served Peace Corps as a Trainee or Volunteer (including Response), or as a staff member (USDH, PSC, or FSN), and if so, to identify the position location, position type, title, and starting and ending dates.
How to Apply:
- Cover Letter – 1 page
- Resume/CV clearly demonstrating the necessary skill set – 2 page maximum
Applicants – send both items to the following email address:
email@example.com with the subject line:
PC 24-01_Human Resources Specialist_Last Name_First Name.
Shortlisted applicants will be convened to sit for a written test.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
For more information on the Statement of work for this position please click here.