Senior Data Scientist at Ifakara Health Institute
Position: Senior Data Scientist
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party/Surveillance Officer
Work Station: Dar es Salaam
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and policytranslation.
Ifakara seeks a qualified Senior Data Scientist (SDS) to provide technical leadership under the Shinda Malaria Project in promoting data management and use for evidence-based program improvement. S/he will carry out routine analysis of malaria data and indicators to support the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) on monitoring malaria trends over time and enhance utilization of data and decision making at national (NMCP) and Sub-national (R/CHMTs) levels. In accordance with global and national surveillance guidance, the SDS will identify, interpret and institute regular data analysis for timely detection of any changes in malaria cases and/or trends at macro and micro levels. This will also include working closely with existing national databases for malaria including DHIS2 and eIDSR. S/he will also support institutionalization of effective data use through capacity building on data management to Healthcare workers (HCWs), health managers (at national and sub-national levels) as well as project staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop/update data management plan to facilitate timely tracking of malaria cases trend at national and subnational levels.
- Conduct periodic analysis of malaria indicators including triangulation of data, and geospatial analysis to support data utilization, decision making, and contribute to the dissemination of findings.
- Conduct capacity-building sessions and or on-job training to R/CHMTs on data analysis, interpretation, utilization, utilizing tools such as the District Health Information System (DHIS2) and the malaria dashboard.
- Coordinate and provide support to NMCP and Regional/Council Health Management Teams (R/CHMTs) in conducting malaria data review meetings at both national and regional levels.
- Provide support on national-level malaria surveillance activities, working closely with NMCP and relevant stakeholders to enhance early response and the overall effectiveness of malaria surveillance.
- Provide leadership in analyzing and presenting performance on malaria indicators, particularly those prioritized in national malaria M&E frameworks.
- Collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team to prepare comprehensive monthly, quarterly, and annual project progress reports as per donor and institution requirements.
- Provide TA to NMCP in the review of an electronic integrated diseases surveillance and response (eIDSR) data, and actively contribute to development of the Malaria Early Epidemic Detection System (MEEDS) thresholds.
- Collaborate with the MEL team to prepare and upload quarterly reports to USAID/PMI reporting platforms such as the Development Information Solution (DIS) and Data Integration and Visualization for Eradication (M-DIVE) on time.
- Provide technical inputs into the integration and interoperability of existing malaria information systems, including the Malaria Composite Management Information System
- Provide Shinda Malaria program staff with all necessary data analysis requirements, including during work plan development and reporting.
- Perform other activities and attend all relevant staff meetings as required.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, biostatistics, computer science, or a related field and master’s degree in the related field.
- A minimum of five years or more of progressive and responsible experience in the management of malaria or health-related data and data systems.
Skills and Competencies
- Experience in all aspects of collecting and analyzing health data – e.g., designing data collection tools, assessing data for validity, analyzing quantitative data, and presenting findings in a programmatically useful way.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze multiple sources of data to identify data trends and provide recommendations on project implementation.
- Strong analytical skills, and use of different programming and statistical packages like Excel, Stata, R, SAS, etc.
- Strong skills in geospatial analysis and data visualization tools.
- Experience in data management including cleaning, mining, and extraction.
- Well experienced in the use of the DHIS2 database.
- Demonstrated ability to function as an active member of a team and to lead a team when needed.
- Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication in English. Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication in Swahili will be evaluated favorably.
- Experience working in a malaria program at national and sub-national levels is highly desirable.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00 hrs on Monday, 18th December 2023. All e-mail application subject lines should include: Senior Data Scientist – Shinda Malaria. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania