Supply Chain Specialist at Danish Refugee Council
Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world. DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Protection, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and infrastructure, and Livelihoods.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Overall purpose of the role:
We are seeking a Supply Chain Specialist to support DRC’s Tanzania operation strengthen DRC’s Supply Chain function. As part of DRC’s commitment to localisation, the Specialist will help build the capacity of supply chain staff technically and managerially. The role will employ practical approaches in equipping the team with skills, competencies and critical tools that will maximise their performance, skills and knowledge in executing their functions to ensure the smooth running of functions to meet the program needs in line with the DRC Operations Handbook, donor and government rules and regulations.
Geographic scope: Tanzania-Kigoma Region
This role has a focus on Tanzania and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. He/She will provide operational support and technical guidance to supply chain functions while overseeing country activities.
- Review the structure of the team and make recommendations for change based on portfolio of work and budget constraints; Assess the capability and capacity of the team and key individuals;
- Providing recommendation to the Area Manager and the Head of support service in defining Policies, Procedure guidelines, technical manuals, and standards in relation to all management fields (procurement/purchasing, infrastructure/office management, fleet management, assets management, stock management, IT and Communication management, etc.;
- Coordinate with the Administration/HR and Finance Department to ensure that systems in place for payment processes to suppliers are made on-time and respecting the financial systems;
- Recommend/implement training plans in areas for improvement (technical management, people management, project management) for support and program team, build the capacity of team leaders and staff, developing and implementing guidance, on the job training and supervision, mentoring and coaching;
- Rolling out training and development, guidance, SOPs in the following areas as needed/prioritised:
- Contract management
- Logistics including Fleet and Warehousing
- Site /Office Management and Maintenance
The specialist will support the following deliverables (subject to an inception discussion and planning sessions with management):
- Capacity assessment for Team
- Deliver training based on the agreed upon training plan
- Capacity Improvement Plan and work plan for implementation
- SOPs reviewed and contextualized.
- Updated vendor data base
- Market survey for 2024
- Updated list of Framework agreement with vendors
- Updated procurement plans
- End report
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 7 years’ experience in senior Supply Chain function in a Humanitarian context
- At least 5 years’ experience with people management and specifically capacity building
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant sector and field experience
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge of supply chain management and procurement processes
- Knowledge of budget cycle and monitoring processes
- Knowledge of key donor policies and compliance procedures, like UNHCR, WFP, Danida
- Experience working with DRC Dynamics or a similar ERP system
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written
- Fluency in English (essential) and Swahili (desirable).
- Compliance and detail-oriented
- Experienced systems person
- Strong team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, culturally sensitive and adaptable
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Understands humanitarian issues in Tanzania, and the region
- Willing to travel to project sites in Tanzania
What we offer
Contract: 3 months of contract with the possibility of extension, subject to needs of the program.
Salary: in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment Non-Management Band/ G.
Availability: February 2024.
Duty station: Kigoma region, Tanzania
Reporting Line: Head of Support Services
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under JOB/ View Vacancies.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 10th December, 2023.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.