|Supervisor:||Chief Executive Officer and MWAMBAO Board of Directors|
|Duty station:||Unguja, Zanzibar.|
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Her
Mwambao Coastal Community Network was established in 2010 to help communities in Tanzania’s coastal areas develop strong and effective local resource management systems that support livelihoods and sustain marine ecosystems. Mwambao employs a human-rights based approach and works to empower local communities and enable them to learn from each other through a community-based network spanning different coastal areas and communities. The network structure fosters learning as well as collective action on shared interests such as influencing policy.
Mwambao has emerged as a leading actor in facilitating community-based marine management in Zanzibar as well as in north-eastern Tanzania working with a number of key international partners whose relationships need confident and sensitive mentoring. The team has expanded significantly in recent years in terms of funding, geographical spread, and diversity of approaches. Mwambao has currently has 54 full-time staff and established offices in Tanga, Pangani, Pemba Island and Unguja Island Zanzibar.
We’re seeking to bring in new leadership to help carry us along in our journey of growth going forward. We are looking for a passionate and able individual to take on the role of Chief Technical Advisor (the present incumbent is an organization co-founder; a significant handover period is planned to allow a smooth transition).
- SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION
The Chief Technical Advisor is as a member of the Senior Management Team of Mwambao and guides the technical components and programme development of all Mwambao’s work. The CTA together with the CEO, will play a lead role in delivering Mwambao’s strategy. She/he will also have a key role in partner/donor liaison and relationship management. She/he will work with the senior programme team planning, budgeting and implementing the agreed activities, delivering adequate professional supervision in all activities as well as helping to shape organization policies. He/she will work closely with other team members especially the Chief Executive Officer and Heads of Programmes and MEL.
MWAMBAO-MCCC is seeking a mature and creative thinker who is comfortable in a diverse team scenario and willing to embrace innovation but also the established Mwambao culture. A scientific training in a biologically related subject is desired; a working knowledge of the small-scale fisheries and marine sector, related development and mariculture issues will be an advantage. A person with experience working in the NGO sector in East Africa is desired. Strong management and technical skills, an attention to detail, a team player, a proactive approach with ability to offer structured guidance, are all attributes that will be regarded favourably.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Work closely with the CEO as an organisation leader and as a member of the Senior Management Team including providing inputs into Finance, Governance, Capacity Development, Strategy and HR issues.
- Lead, alongside the CEO, in liaising with project partners, donor organizations, partner NGOs and other groups to ensure effective coordination of project activities and potential leverage of additional resources;
- Represent Mwambao-MCCC ltd at national and international workshops, partner meetings and other key fora.
- Work alongside the CEO to develop six-monthly updates to the board and keep the board abreast of significant organisational updates
- Maintain regular communications with local government partners
- Identify funding opportunities and partnerships and evaluate them strategically against Mwambao’s strategy
Donor and Fund Management
- Lead on the management of multiple donor relationships including statutory funders, as well as through foundations and long-term partnerships.
- Lead in the identification and development of new programme opportunities including leading proposal development
- In collaboration with the Head of Finance and Programme leads, develop and review project budgets
- Review and approve funding requests and ensure that they are in line with budget and policies
- Approve bank transactions when required as back-up signatory
- Lead on the provision of technical expertise and strategic guidance to all programme components, including line management and guidance to the three heads of programme to help plan, monitor and review their plans
- Work in close consultation with the Head of Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning (MEL) to develop a monitoring plan; with clear milestones and measurable indicators.
- Provide technical inputs and advice in planning workshops
- Provide the final review, vetting of reports and plans produced through the programmes and in developing publications before submission outside of the organisation.
- Provide technical inputs for collection of data and developing methodology in the execution of various technical studies carried out by Mwambao.
- Assist the MEL team in the evaluation of results and impacts of the Project Monitoring Frameworks
- Provide technical inputs in policy briefs, technical and periodic reports for advocacy and knowledge management as appropriate.
- Provide technical support to enable final evaluation of projects.
Management and Oversight
- Line management and mentoring to the three Heads of Programme and a Communications Officer as well as Consultants.
- Provide guidance and inputs into recruitment processes
- Assist in identifying gaps in learning and development and proactively identify training opportunities for the team
- Provide technical guidance to the Project Managers in identifying gaps and opportunities to improve implementation of projects.
- Develop consultancy contracts and agreements
- Provide HR support including support to the Annual 360 appraisal process
- Develop communications outputs and review communications materials before release
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Education and Training
- Advanced degree (Master’s level, equivalent or higher) in the field of marine sciences, ecology, biology, climate change mitigation, development or related science.Other relevant educational background may be considered.
At least 10 years of practical experience in:
- Working in an NGO or similar on natural resource-based management with a community focus
- Work planning and budgeting skills
- Managing a diverse team to deliver conservation and development work
- A senior project management and decision-making role within an NGO
- Development and delivery of roadmaps on natural resource community-based co-management,
- Preparation of the Independent Mid-Term and End of Project Evaluations, analysis of results and development of corrective actions, developing management responses as per results of evaluations.
- Development of project proposals meeting requirements of climate change focus (mitigation) and an Ecosystem Based Approach
- Provision of technical guidance on implementation and completion of key NBRM project components/activities, inputs on key technical decisions at strategic moments in the implementation;
- Successful liaison with donors and partners resulting in provision of funding for programmes
- Commissioning and management of consultants
We are seeking an individual who will thrive in challenging situations, be able to work independently but able to lead a team in a collegial manner. We are looking for the following competencies:
- Good understanding of local policies and practices in the Tanzanian marine conservation sector
- Outstanding time-management and organizational skills
- Proficiency in the work with Microsoft packages;
- Ability to work in close collaboration with national and international experts, to meet strict deadlines and plan the work according to priorities;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Ability to work creatively, respectfully and collaboratively with a team with diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities
- Able to lead a team, allocate clear roles and responsibilities and provide good and regular mentorship.
- Flexibility including the ability to respond to requests at short notice
- Work with attention to detail
- Clear communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office work applications
English is the key reporting language therefore proficiency in English both written and spoken is required.
Working knowledge of written and spoken Kiswahili language an advantage.
We are looking for a mid-late career professional. The position is open to both those eligible to live and work in Tanzania and those from outside Tanzania. (Mwambao will sponsor a work and resident permit if required).
Our Mwambao Values
Being a Change pioneer:
Provide new and constructive outlooks and solutions
Mwambao leads in pioneering creative new approaches and interventions.
Promoting Community stewardship of the environment
Community-based planning and implementation
Responsible caretaker of the environment.
Upholding the values of Accountability and Responsibility:
Responsible for carrying out what you commit to, to the best of your ability
Demonstrate accountability and integrity in funds management while encouraging accountability in others.
Promoting Fairness and Equity in all our work:
Declare any conflict of interest
Transparency and shared decision making
Observe the rule of law
Promote Equality and respect
Equal treatment at all levels, all gender, all ages. Fair decision-making – Fair recognition and respect of commitments at all levels.
- APPLICATION PROCESS
Serious and committed applicants are invited to apply online – follow this link here
The deadline for application is midnight September 7th, 2023