Director of Finance & Administration at Four Seasons
Four Seasons Serengeti is currently seeking a highly competent and motivated individual to join our team as the Director of Finance & Administration. This is a key leadership position responsible for overseeing all financial operations at our luxury safari lodge, providing financial guidance, and driving the financial success of our property.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
About Four Seasons Serengeti:
Four Seasons Serengeti is an iconic, world-class luxury safari lodge nestled in the stunning landscapes of Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park. With breathtaking views of the vast plains, exceptional wildlife encounters, and unparalleled guest experiences, Four Seasons Serengeti offers a truly unique and unforgettable stay for our discerning guests.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND OUTCOMES
Support, mentor and develop finance employees for today and the future. Maintain harmonious and professional relationship with all departments and Home Office. Comply with and enforce Four Seasons’ Category One and Category Two Work Rules and Standards of Conduct as set forth in EmPact. Maintain close relations with hotel’s/resort’s ownership and internal/external auditors and ensure effective action necessary on all agreed upon recommendations. Deal with all disciplinary and grievance matters in a consistent manner and ensure each issue is appropriately documented. Conduct effective department meetings; appropriately communicate and complete any action items. Assist Lodge Manager in establishing policies, rules, internal controls and safeguards. Actively support the Safety Committee. Actively network within the community to attract potential candidates for recruitment purposes and understanding the competitive market
Continuously deliver the highest level of product with respect to financial reporting and analysis, internal control compliance and business management. Ensure this is done with both integrity and accuracy. Ensure that bank accounts are opened in consultation with owners with a bank of strong financial standing and if local rating services are available, they should be utilized for verification of financial strength. Ensure all cheques are signed only by authorized parties and that positive pay and positive payee is in place on all bank accounts (where available) and that source documents are approved by one member of Group B. Ensure the preparation of a comprehensive monthly report of the entire financial results of the hotel in established corporate formats and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Effectively advocate Finance Department programs and policies to Planning Committee, Department Heads and employee groups. Monitor the status of Accounts Receivable aging and billing collections to achieve company standards. Maintain files on all contracts, leases and agreements and ensure compliance with their requirements; ensure proper authorization has been obtained for all hotel specific contracts (including Engineering), leases and other agreements and competitive bids are on file where applicable and reviewed prior to execution of contract. As applicable, ensure compliance with all loan covenants and the balance of long-term debt is accurate and agrees to all supporting documentation and verified when payments are made. As appropriate, based on the hotel’s accounting on behalf of owners, interest accruals on long-term debt may be recorded on the hotel’s books; the Finance Business Manager should ensure accuracy of the unpaid balance and applicable interest rate, and accrue the expense to the Interest Expense line item and record the corresponding liability in the Accrued Interest liability account. Ensure that monthly reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts are prepared and signed off on in accordance with policy. Review and sign off on all bank reconciliations monthly, paying special attention to reconciling items. Continuously strive for improvement of processes and efficiency. To work alongside Purchasing Manager to review vendor pricing during the year and training and implementing of Food Hygiene practices for delivery / purchasing stores.
Monitor, control and record all sales, purchases, salaries and expenses of the hotel. Closely monitor and effectively manage labor costs; plan vacations effectively and ensure proper service levels are provided with the labor standards, while minimizing OT. Comply with applicable Employment Laws. Prepare forecasts and budgets as required locally, by corporate office or Management Agreement. Review the cash position of the hotel on a daily basis in order to optimize the use of funds. Ensure gains/losses on the sale/disposal of fixed assets are properly disclosed and recorded on the Statement of Changes in financial position (SR-25 where applicable) and on the P&L statement. For locations that maintain full balance sheets including fixed assets, ensure accumulated depreciation accounts are accurate and properly recorded. Always search out and drive new business opportunities that benefit the hotel.
Organize and supervise all employee recreation programs include parties, general meetings, employee relations events, etc. Respond to and attend any related hearings for all employee claims against the Lodge including Workers’ Compensation, Unemployment, Department of Labor and Wage & Hour concerns. Actively support the Lodge Committees (incl. Safety, Green, Cafeteria, etc). Perform any other duties as assigned by Management. May be required to temporary relocate to Arusha logistics office to help.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Education: University degree – major in accounting or finance preferred
Experience: Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in the related position with Four Seasons or other organization.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Proven leadership skills in a hotel/resort environment
- Highest level of integrity and transparency
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills to work with cross-functional teams, to negotiate for resources and influence stakeholders and to gain acceptance of and commitment to plans, ideas, initiatives, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to prepare and deliver reports, effective presentations and to facilitate meetings
- Promote a continuous learning environment that creates an atmosphere for professional development opportunities
- Apply an ethical approach to influence the outcome of situations
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Require a working technical knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and job knowledge of all positions in Accounting, Purchasing and Food & Beverage control. Working knowledge is generally learned on-the-job or through a series of professional certifications.
- Require knowledge of and the ability to operate computer equipment and Microsoft Office Suite software.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- A working knowledge of hotel systems and operations.
- Strategic, analytical and have solid business acumen.
- Serve as a role model for others by demonstrating appropriate business conduct and ethical principles
- Continuously seek to improve/develop the performance of others and continuously strive to improve his/her own performance
- Work in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
- Lodge Manager/Resort Manager
- Planning Committee and Department Heads
- Area Finance Business Manager
- Regional Vice President
- Director of Residential Accounting
- Director of Internal Audit
- President, Senior Vice President, Operations
- Senior Vice President/Vice President, Operations Finance
- Asset Manager
- Home Owner Associations
- Group/Catering Clients
- Local HFTP
- Finance Business Manager at hotels in the city / region
- Audit Partner and Manager
- Bank Managers
- Local Councils