E M P L O Y M E N T O P P O R T U N I T Y
Food Safety Advisor
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
The GIZ program “Support to Pandemic Preparedness in the EAC region” is currently looking to fill the position of Food Safety Advisor.
Duty station: Arusha Fixed term contract Job location: Band 4
of the activities and tasks under the output area of food safety as
defined in the commissioning of the German ministry for economic
cooperation and development
Strengthening the EAC Secretariat’s capacity for coordination of risk assessment, risk communication and risk-based inspection services (for animal source foods) as offered by the Partner States. Strengthening capacities of EAC Partner States’ competent authorities for administration, auditing,
and certification of safety compliance for animal sourced foods.
Strengthening capacities of EAC Partner States’ competent authorities for microbial risk assessment,
risk communication and testing of animal source foods.
and ensure quality of the assessment of the situation of health hazards
from cross- border animal source foods in the EAC.
Assessment of gaps and needs for improving governance, inspection, testing and risk assessment for animal source foods in the EAC.
Training on risk-based food safety management for experts and managers at regional and national level, as well as for inspectors responsible for food safety at border crossing points in the EAC.
Development of evidence-based guidelines and standard operating procedures, e.g. for the visual inspection of livestock and handling of animal source foods in line and harmonized with international accepted frameworks and guidelines.
Development of a teaching and learning toolkit in food hygiene, which reflects training needs across the border regions.
Development of mechanisms for assessment and communication of risks associated with animal source foods in the region as well as coordination of these processes at the EAC level
> Developing a work plan for improving the inspections of animal source foods in the EAC region.
Supporting the AV -PanPrep and the EAC Secretariat’s Senior Livestock Officer, Principal Health
Officer and Principal Standards Officer in coordination of implementation of this program
> Facilitating learning by the EAC Secretariat and Partner States, from EU experience in risk management, assessment, and communication for animal source foods.
Developing a system for sharing of information on non-conforming animal source foods in the EAC.
Development of communication materials such as regular newsletters
Ensuring the achievement of objectives as agreed with the commissioning party
Facilitating the establishment of strong networks between the EAC and continental and global institutions with stewardship/normative function in the field of food safety
• At least Master’s degree in Food Safety, Public Health, Veterinary Public Health, Food Science, Environmental Health, or any other relevant field.
• At least 10 years of professional experience in the field of Food Safety, Public Health, or
• At least five years of experience in Food Safety at the international or regional level especially in the
• At least 5 years of experience in Quality Infrastructure and Technical Regulatory Framework,
• Experience of carrying out mixed-methods baseline studies and evaluations
• Knowledge on One Health approaches and Nationality of any of the EAC Partner States, and or gender, as added advantages
• Experience in drafting strategic documents for large institutions (needs assessment, organizational and strategic plans, etc.)
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with the secretariat of the East African Community
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Demonstrated ability to make oral and public presentations of technical issues
• Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels
• Good knowledge of WTO SPS Agreement, and the works of the Codex Alimentarius Commission
(Codex) and the World Organization for Animal Health (WOAH).
• Good knowledge of Project Management and Implementation
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to email@example.com .
Please use the subject line “Food Safety Advisor – Arusha”. Closing date for submission: 30.06.2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.