This role is responsible for overseeing the legal aspects and compliance of the business in the jurisdiction of Watu (Tanzania) Limited operations. This will include reviewing and interpreting legal instruments and effective communication with the senior management and employees in respective departments. This position ensures that the Company has an effective contract management system, dispute resolution mechanism and compliance system. The position shall be an advisory one, with the Legal Counsel providing expert opinion in all matters pertaining to corporate commercial, employment laws and general legal matters.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide accurate and timely legal advice to the senior management and respective departments on various legal topics (labor law, contract law, regulatory environment, data protection, international ventures, financing transactions, new product development legal aspects, etc.).
- Provide legal opinions and engage in negotiations with the counterparties if needed.
- Draft, review, update and amend the Company’s documents, including loan and security agreements, data protection notices, internal resolutions, and other documents.
- Develop and implement a compliance program in liaison with the compliance & investigation team to ensure the organization operates in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Research and evaluate different legal and regulatory strands regarding business decisions and operations.
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- Participate in staff training in all legal issues arising from the WATU (T) business operations. These may include assisting them in identifying genuine securities, legal implications of illegal recoveries, and aiding with police issues.
- Provide updates to the Head of Legal or reporting line managers on issues affecting the operations.
- Prepare and/or represent the Company at trials, hearing and proceeding as may be necessary.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.) within the given mandate, creating trust relationships.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights.
- Provide legal guidance including general legal advice on best practices for compliance, input on business decisions and contract negotiations, and legal strategies for litigation and other legal activities.
- Ensure compliance with laws and guidelines related to Watu business or other activities, including anticipation of the changing laws and regulations.
- Ensuring regulatory permits are up to date and renewed in a timely manner.
- Perform other ad hoc tasks as assigned by the Head of Legal or the senior management.
Education level: Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
Law Degree from a recognized University
Experience: Minimum of five (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent knowledge of Legal Policies and Procedures.
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information
- Performance Management.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Contract and Litigation Management.
- Records Management.
● Must adhere to the company code of conduct.
● Embraces, leads, and embeds change.
● Must actively demonstrate the values of Watu.
● Must lead, attend, and participate in team meetings.
● Motivates, coaches, and develops others.
● Clear Communication and active listening skills.
● Strong Ethics and Standards.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Be a part of an international, dynamic and driven team that has set their aspirations high and work hard to achieve those
- Opportunities to learn and grow together with us
- Competitive compensation package
- Health benefits
Do you see yourself being part of the WATU team? Then please apply with your CV and a cover letter, we are looking forward to working with you!