Operations Director Medical Teams International
|Department:||Operations||Grey Sections to be completed by Human Resources.|
|Reports to (position):||Country Director||Org. Reporting Line:||Country Office|
|Location(s):||Dar es Salaam||Job Band: 19||Choose an item.|
|Workdays & Number of scheduled hours per week:||Monday-Friday, 40+ hours/week, occasional weekends, and public holidays||FLSA:||Salary, Exempt|
|Full Time or Part Time||Full Time|
|Position Type:||Regular Employee||EEO Job Class:||First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers|
|Travel:||Monday-Friday, 40+ hours/week, occasional weekends, and public holidays||Last Update:||19/05/2023|
|If Manager of Staff: Number (and Titles) of Direct Reports:||Procurement & Logistics Manager, HR & Administration Manager, Finance Manager and IT Officer,||Total # of Staff in Team/Department under management of this position:||4Direct Reports|
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Medical Teams International holds strict child and vulnerable adult safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for misconduct related to sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment & selection, hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates’ eligibility thorough background checks, police clearance, and professional reference check processes.
The Operations Director will be an experienced leader and manager who will lead continuous improvement in the operations and service functions of the office, building efficiency and speed of critical functions to increase Medical Team’s ability to deploy health services quickly and effectively to some of the world’s most vulnerable people. The Operations director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Tanzania program. He/she will oversee the administrative team and make sure that the office and support processes run smoothly. He/She will develop and implement operational procedures and systems and engage with external stakeholders in the delivery of efficient and effective systems.
Representation & CD support (15%)
- Works with the Country Director to lead and manage Medical Teams through significant strategic and organizational changes.
- Models and promotes MTI’s Calling and Values as they translate into Tanzanian context and priorities.
- Owns and leads achievement of the Operations Team’s Key Performance Areas of the Country Office strategy and business plan.
- Analyses and maintains an ongoing awareness of, and relationship with the regulatory and audit requirements and actors in Tanzania.
- Maintains a relationship with (USA) Headquarters’ Operations functions (Human Resource, Logistics & Procurement and IT).
Management of Staff (15%)
- Manages and evaluates performance of direct reports and completes regular performance reviews.
- Responsible for building and modelling effective teamwork and coordination within department and the country office.
- Support Program Managers in their general management of support functions (Logistics, Procurement, HR/Administration, IT).
- Works with HR/Admin team to strengthen and improve employee engagement and retention, talent acquisition and development, as well as leadership development.
- Travels to field office and program locations to provide on-site support, supervision, and mentoring.
Business (Operations) Systems Leadership (70%)
- Provide leadership and management to Operations (Human Resources & Administration, Procurement, Logistics, IT, Finance and slight areas in Security and Communications) to ensure delivery of high-quality services.
- Provide direction to Operations functions for organizational planning (including annual budget and Country Operations Plan) and model (internal) collaborative approaches for effective delivery of program impact.
- Improves operational effectiveness by recording and sharing lessons-learned and best-practices across the operations function teams.
- Leads the optimisation of systems and processes in human relations/administration, procurement and logistics, information technology and compliance through the application of the Field Operations Manual (FOM) and other global MTI policies and procedures.
- Lead change management activities essential to comprehensive ERP integration from implementation to full utilization in the capacity as Country ERP Sponsor.
- Supervise and support Logistics and Procurement, Finance, HR/Admin and IT team members and ERP Champions involved in ERP implementation.
- Support the Logistics team to improve Fleet Safety and Medicine Management
- Oversee Procurement Manager to ensure all procurement is donor compliant and is aligned with and supports program need.
- Support IT to ensure all staff have hardware tools needed to perform their tasks, internet connectivity, software, and training tools.
- Support Country Director in assessment of context and collaboration with HR investigations.
- Ensure accountability is integrated into country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, training and performance management, partnership agreements, and highlighted in reporting.
- Ensures Medical Teams International is compliant with applicable Government laws and policies in Tanzania, Donor regulations and Medical Teams International’s internal policies and procedures by addressing any related concerns to the Country Director.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Utilize volunteers when appropriate.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Required: Master’s degree or equivalent academic and management experience in a field relevant to humanitarian operations.
- Preferred: Professional Certification/s in HR, Finance, Procurement / logistics or IT
- Required: Minimum 8 years of work experience in a busy organization providing oversight in business functions of Procurement, Logistics and Human Resources.
- Required: Proven track record of achieving results in a humanitarian context in the areas of inventory management, procurement, supply chain and logistics in Tanzania or a developing country.
- Required: Proven track record in management of people and teams.
- Preferred: Change management experience in business systems such as ERP, including implementation and integration.
- Preferred: Demonstrated experience in staff management; structure development, hiring, evaluating, and supervising operations staff.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- In-depth knowledge of generally Accepted Procurement processes (UNHCR), PRM Rules and Regulations and other relevant donor requirements.
- Sound Understanding of Human Resource practices, Procurement supply chain and logistics processes.
- Knowledge of ERP systems and computerized procurement software such as Unit4.
- Skilled (and experienced) people manager
- Skilled in using an ERP system to process procurement transactions and HR management.
- High degree of analytical reporting skills
- Strong administrative skills in managing documentation and project funding information
- A good command of both written and spoken English, with strong interpersonal skills
- Capacity building skills including coaching and on job training.
- Ability to respond to tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to maintain detailed records with high accuracy
- Highly organized with good quantitative analysis ability
- Ability to act with integrity and maintain the highest ethical standards
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Ability to support Medical Teams Calling and adhere to the Medical Teams Code of Conduct
- Ability to network and cultivate strong relationships with government, donors, partners, and other
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme hot or cold weather, and very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
NOTE: Only for Tanzanian National
- All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
- Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Operations Director
- Application Deadline: 4th of June 2023 at 1700HRS. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview. (Open for 14 days only)
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Medical Teams is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce
Beware that Medical Teams does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing application, or any other fee). Medical Teams does not request any information related to bank accounts. If asked of any payment, please contact email@example.com