IED Faculty at Aga Khan University (AKU)
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents (www.aku.edu). An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The opportunity now exists for five positions in the Institute for Educational Development, East Africa as follows:
- Assistant Professor/Associate Professor, Science Education
- Assistant professor/Associate Professor, Mathematics Education
- Assistant Professor/Associate Professor, Equity & Inclusion in Education – Gender Specialism
- Assistant professor/Associate Professor in ICT Education
- Assistant professor/Associate Professor in Educational Leadership and Management
The faculty member will be responsible to develop & lead the academic programmes at master’s level at IED, EA. Faculty member will also undertake independent research & other scholarly activities and carry out admin responsibilities as assigned and participate in other academic activities at AKU-IED
- Lead Certificate courses which will include provision of academic leadership; planning, teaching, evaluating the courses and mentoring teaching team.
- Independently design and teach courses at Advanced Diploma level in the area of specialization.
- Independently design, plan and teach master’s Level courses.
- Supervise master’s level dissertations.
- Supervise PhD level dissertation, as assigned by the Director, AKU-IED.
- Be available for course participants requiring guidance for their assignments.
- Conform to University’s policies and established performance norms for evaluation of students/ course participants ensuring that this is based on fair and equitable parameters and provide required feedback to students for the same.
- Disseminate & integrate research findings in course teaching.
- Conduct independent research studies.
- Co-write research proposals to obtain internal/external research grants, design instruments, collect data and compiling research findings and prepare reports.
- Co-author research papers in referred journals.
- Publish articles/book chapters in local/international publications.
- Publish monographs/textbooks.
- Present research findings / papers at international conferences and national conferences.
- Provide consultancy to national and international organizations in area of expertise or field of interest.
- Participate as a member on AKU-IED and University wide committees.
- Provide leadership in local professional associations.
- Participate in continuing professional development programmes for self-development and engage in other professional development activities to keep self-updated on current practices and trends in teacher education and education development. This should be in consultation with supervisor/ mentor.
- Monitor & evaluate programme development & implementation as assigned.
- Mentor junior faculty members to facilitate their development for teaching and research
- Encourage freedom of inquiry and broad differences of opinions on debatable matters.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- A doctorate degree in the relevant field, with 5 – 7 years of related work experience, including preferably school / college teaching / teacher education institute and field-based experience.
- Demonstrated ability to define research projects and securing a competitive grant for it, undertaking the research, publishing and disseminating research findings.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and communication skills in both oral and written forms.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with teams.
- Proficiency in writing research proposals and conducting research.
- Ability to supervise and guide research activities.
- Good leadership skills
- Good liaison with other universities & educational institutions.
- Good knowledge of educational leadership and management.
- Excellent academic writing skills.
- Good planning & organizing skills.
- Committed to learning and growth and pursues improvement.
- Proficiency in use of related computer software packages
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements of this position, please send your application package which should include an application letter, an updated CV to email@example.com