About the job
The Aga Khan University is a pioneering institution of higher education whose mission is to improve the quality of life in the developing world and beyond, through world-class teaching, research, and healthcare delivery. AKU educates students for local and global leadership from campuses and teaching hospitals in six countries, primarily in Asia and Africa.
Established in 2004, the Aga Khan University Medical College Tanzania seeks to provide high quality education for health professional leaders who will then go on to become reputable specialists generating a positive and lasting impact in the lives of their patients and in the communities they serve. It provides individuals with the opportunity to practice medicine at the highest level of education and research. The four-year training program leads to the award of a Master of Medicine in various specialties, including Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Paediatrics & Child Health, and General Surgery. Candidates are selected for programs based on merit and their commitment to mastering the 21st century skills necessary to excel in medicine. The teaching style is evidence-based and involves direct hands-on practice under the supervision of experienced faculty, utilizing state-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities at The Aga Khan Hospital in Dares Salaam, a Joint Commission International Accredited (JCIA) hospital.
The Associate Dean of the Medical College in Dar es Salaam occupies the senior academic leadership role and serves as a representative of the college in Tanzania. The Associate Dean is responsible for providing strategic direction of the Medical College in Tanzania and ensuring high quality of all the academic programmes (education and research), as well as the financial and operational management of the Medical College.
The Associate Dean serves as a liaison between the Medical College and the Aga Khan University’s School of Nursing and Midwifery, as well as other Aga Khan University entities in Tanzania. The Associate Dean also serves as a strategic and operational link between the Medical College in East Africa and Aga Khan Health Services (AKHS) in Tanzania, sitting as a member of the senior AKHS leadership team and develops a close working relationship with the Chief Executive Officer of AKHST. As part of the senior leadership of the Medical College in East Africa, the Associate Dean contributes to and supports the efficient operation of the institution; and is integral to the successful operation of the Medical College in East Africa.
- Lead the strategic planning of the Medical College in Tanzania and actively participate in strategic planning initiatives for the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) in East Africa and Aga Khan Health Services in Tanzania;
- Provide supervision and mentorship to faculty members who have assumed educational leadership roles within the medical college;
- Provide oversight of the recruitment process for all educational leadership roles, co-chairing the process with the CEO of AKHS when necessary;
- Support the development, implementation and quality review of all educational programs, including undergraduate, postgraduate, and continuing education programs at the college;
- Ensure that a comprehensive faculty and staff development program is implemented and reviewed periodically;
- Establish a strong working relationship with the School of Nursing & Midwifery in Tanzania; and other Aga Khan University and Aga Khan Development Network agencies, to ensure effective coordination in the planning, implementation, and quality assurance of shared programmes and activities;
- Overall responsibility for the development and management of the financial budget for Medical College Tanzania;
- Contribute to and demonstrate exemplary leadership in scholarly pursuits within the Faculty of Health Sciences in Tanzania;
- Provide liaison and support to the Aga Khan University (AKU), Aga Khan Health Services (AKHS) and Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) with regards to regional planning and activities;
- Link the medical college with local, regional, and international government, university, and professional organizations;
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to promote AKU’s fundraising mission;
- Perform clinical duties in your specialty.
- MMed or equivalent; PhD or Clinical fellowship are desirable;
- Registration by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board;
- Academic ranking of Associate Professor or higher;
- Experienced administrative leader with a successful track record in the academic field serving as a Division Chief, Vice Chair, or Chair. Must have been successful in developing academic leaders, mentoring junior faculty, recruiting diverse students, trainees and staff;
- A deep understanding of the intricate financial challenges faced by academic medical centres and health care delivery organizations, as well as expertise in utilizing strategies to effectively manage and reduce the cost of care (such as length of stay and the prudent utilization of resources and facilities);
- Ability to clearly articulate a research vision for the campus, provide mentorship and leadership to guide research programmes (such as clinical, population-based basic science, or data science) to success, evidenced by significant increases in funding, publications, and national or international recognition. Moreover, have an informed understanding of research funding and development trends, and have the ability to respond proactively to these trends as they evolve.
- Experience in expanding and strengthening clinical programs, as well as leading complex clinical programs that prioritize access, quality, and patient satisfaction;
- Ability to recognize areas of potential growth and the capacity to guide and support faculty as they create new opportunities, thus forming a passionate and determined vision to foster excellence in all aspects of the academic mission;
- A record of scholarly excellence evidenced by a number of impactful publications, a successful track record of obtaining research funding, and involvement in prestigious national and international societies.
Desired Personal Characteristics and Behaviours:
- Exemplify scholarly excellence in medicine and provide guidance and support to other academic leaders;
- Outstanding organizational and administrative abilities, with an in-depth understanding of internal processes in both a university and healthcare system; and the ability to identify areas for improvement in terms of efficiency and effectiveness;
- A strategic thinker with the ability to support strategic planning and implementation effectively;
- Dedicated to fostering an atmosphere of inter-disciplinary collaboration and cooperation;
- Ability to build teams and provide leadership within a horizontal organizational structure;
- Lead with a collaborative, transparent, and open approach, with the ability to make sound decisions that drive the college, faculty and staff forward;
- Fair, consistent, strategic, and inspiring to faculty and staff.
How to Apply:
If you meet the criteria for this position, please email your application letter, a detailed Curriculum Vitae, and the contact information of three referees addressed to the to the Senior Manager Executive Search, Human Resources, Aga Khan University at firstname.lastname@example.org and please note, you MUST quote the title of the position (i.e. Associate Dean, Medical College Tanzania) in the subject line.
No hard copy applications will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Aga Khan University is an equal opportunity employer. Canvassing or direct lobbying to be recruited will construe to an automatic disqualification.