Advisor Climate resilient water Supply and Sanitation Services at GIZ February, 2023
Advisor Climate resilient water Supply and Sanitation Services
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
The GIZ programme “Water Security and Climate Resilience for Urban Areas in Tanzania” is looking to fill the position of Advisor for Climate resilient Water Supply and Sanitation services
Duty station: Dodoma, Tanzania with frequent travel to Singida and other areas within Tanzania.
Fixed term contract
Responsibilities and Tasks
The Advisor is responsible for
- managing the thematic area of responsibility that forms part of the commission, programme objectives, team agreements and agreements with the superior. The responsibilities lie within Output Area 2: “Climate Resilient Water Supply and Sanitation in Urban Centres” within the Programme for Water Security and Climate Resilience for Urban Areas in Tanzania.
- contributing to Output Areas 1: National water policy advice towards strengthening core processes of the Ministry of Water in relation to climate resilient water security and in Output Area 3: “Climate resilient Water Resources Management” of the programme.
- assisting programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups and partner institutions, especially Water supply and sanitation authorities, Local government authorities, Basin Water Boards, Ministry of Water, and local beneficiaries in the towns of Singida, Sumbawanga, Tunduma, Mbeya, and others that may be identified by the programme.
- innovation and knowledge management.
Advising the partner institution(s)
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of programme plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts from the institutions mentioned under Part A.
- contributes to preparing and implementing work plans within Output Area 2, in coordination with Output Areas 1 and 3 of the programmes.
- manages the design, preparation and implementation of meetings, workshops, seminars, writing project reports and plans and other events on issues connected with the programme’s area of activities
- supports the utility management team in designing utility performance improvement measures and recommends necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives to improve climate resilience in water supply and sanitation services and its access, especially for people living in marginal and underserved service areas of the towns included in the programme.
- supports preparation of Joint Town-level Master Plans (JTP) for improving water supply and sanitation, preparation of Climate Resilient Water Safety Plans (CR-WSP) based on Ministry of Water Guidelines and following GIZ procedures and methodologies
- supports the utilities in developing ready-to-finance project proposals for implementing priority projects identified by the JTP plans and CR-WSPs.
Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular consultations, and dialogue with partners, based on technical expertise, mutual trust, and respect
- assists with PR and communications work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies, and individuals in the programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these to the GIZ Water team and encour- ages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the programme and the Output areas.
- ensures knowledge transfer within the GIZ staff and supports the development of ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures that are within the National Water Policy and in accordance with MoW and GIZ principles
- drafts reports and presentation documents with reference to MoW and GIZ communication guidelines.
- prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports and con- tributes to other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office.
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, or- ganisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation
- assists with monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation of project activities and outputs
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the Output Area leader and in cooperation with the partners.
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- supports other operational activities within the GIZ programme (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting etc.)
- works closely with the WSSAs of Singida, Sumbawanga, Tunduma and Mbeya and supports them in improving water supply and sanitation services in underserved, marginalised areas within their area of jurisdiction. A focus therefore is on advisory services and on-site sanita- tion, faecal sludge management, and decentralised sanitation systems, for tance through the application of the Joint Town-level planning and implementation.
- provides support to WSSA in applying existing digital tools and processes as well as in devel- oping new ones that improve their efficiency in service delivery, e.g. mapping of the water supply network and customers, reducing non-revenue water, etc.
- provides technical support to the WSSA in resource mobilization, including the development of ready to finance project proposals for improving water supply and particularly sanitation services in the respective service area
- provides technical, up-to-date knowledge in the area of responsibility, with reference to na- tional, regional and international experiences and best practices.
- establishes and applies regular exchange mechanisms with relevant stakeholders.
- collaborates with GIZ experts working in the other Output areas of the programme and in the NatuReS programme
- participates in and contributes to GIZ and relevant partner events.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experiences
- Master’s degree or above in an area that is related to the programme and Output area objectives, with a focus on a relevant field, such as: Civil, Environmental or Sanitary Engineering, WASH, etc. with a focus on climate change resilience or adaptation aspects
- at least seven (5) years proven work experience in technical and management aspects of urban water supply and sanitation in Tanzania, including planning and designing of water supply and on and off-site sanitation schemes.
- At least 1 to 2 years’ experience in investment funding and bankable/ready to finance project proposal development
- At least 1 to 2 years’ experience in the field of low-cost water supply systems, e.g. water kiosks.
- At least 1 to 2 years’ experience in fecal sludge management in urban settlements
- Very good working knowledge of l&CT technologies (related water resources management software, and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Fluency in written and oral Swahili and English is required.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Working experience with international organisations.
- Proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of national and international experts.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of aca- demic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “Climate resilient Water Supply and Sanitation services”. Closing date for submission: 20.02.2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.