Assistant Reinsurance Manager – (23000006)
Reporting to the Country Operations Manager, the role holder will be responsible for developing and managing reinsurance activities in accordance with the company’s underwriting and reinsurance policy and standards so as to meet and exceed customers and shareholders’ expectations.
- Oversee reinsurance activities within corporate segment.
- Vet all risks to ensure that only quality business is accepted into the company at acceptable rates to ensure profitability and achievement of the set loss ratio targets
- Implement the underwriting strategy, philosophy, policies and procedures
- Ensure achievement of the agreed renewals retention targets within Corporate Segment
- Ensuring that the risks undertaken by the company are adequately covered through reinsurance programmes.
- Manage relationships with clients, intermediaries and service providers to ensure agreed service level agreements are achieved and goodwill with all stakeholders is maintained
- Ensuring timely preparation of reports
- Supervision, appraisal, training and development of staff in the department
- Manage staff and resources, provide direction, set goals and ensure the department goals are attained.
- Ensure timely submission of closing and accounting documents as well as for settlement of premium recovery of claims from reinsurers.
- Ensure accuracy of reinsurance contract with reference to original terms at which reinsurance is accepted.
- Delegated Authority: As per the approved Delegated Authority Matrix
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
As described in your Personal Score Card
- Accountable to the Country Operations Manager
- Work with all the departments.
- Work with Britam Group staff across the organization
- Britam customers and stakeholders
- Service providers
- Other stakeholders
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required:
Key Performance Measures:
- Business related University Degree – Insurance, Statistics, Accounts preferred
- Professional Insurance qualification, (CII or IIK) Diploma
- Must have at least 4-7 years’ experience in the reinsurance field
- In depth understanding of insurance operations and concepts
- Knowledge of Reinsurance Treaty and Facultative
- Knowledge of insurance regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of underwriting processes, procedures and concepts
- Leading and Supervising – Provides team with a clear direction based on the overall strategy and objectives of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledges high potential talent within the team; sets and articulates the departmental strategy and organisational values through own personal behaviour.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages team and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
- Analysing – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue in the team or department may be a part of a much larger system / issue in the organisation.
- Planning and Organising – Sets clearly defined team objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks, projects and team objectives; manages time effectively; monitors team performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations– Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project and team goals.
- Deciding and Initiating Action – Ensures team objectives are met; takes responsibility for decisions, actions, projects and people while focussing on the achievement of team results; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; makes quick, clear decisions with all information available; team decisions and actions take into account possible impact on all parts of the department.
- Relating and Networking – Easily establishes, as well as assists others in building meaningful relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels in the department; builds effective networks within, as well as outside the department; facilitates the resolutions of conflict and manages disagreements within team with tact and diplomacy.
- Persuading and Influencing– Gains clear agreement and commitment from team members; promotes the departmental strategy and objectives during team conversations; promotes ideas on behalf of the team and / or department; takes care to manage the team’s impression and brand on others.
- Creating and Innovating- Produces new ideas, approaches, and insights; facilitates the creation of innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realise team goals; understands and effectively communicates the departmental strategy; translates the departmental strategy and vision into operational responsibilities; takes into consideration departmental strategy during all tasks, projects and decision-making; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to the team.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and proactively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses team objectives, opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; responds quickly to the needs of the team and to their reactions and feedback when communicating; projects credibility.
Primary Location: Tanzania, United Republic of-Dar es Salaam-Dar es Salaam
Organization: International Insurance Business
Job Type: Permanent
Shift: Day Job
Contract Type: Full-time
Job Posting: 26-01-2023
Unposting Date: 01-02-2023
Number of Openings: 1