The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 4,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment and energy do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
The Public Sector Systems Strengthening Plus (PS3+) supports the Government of Tanzania (GOT) to institutionalize public sector systems that are responsive to citizens’ needs for quality services at the local level, particularly for underserved populations. PS3+ builds on the work done under its predecessor, the PS3 project, to further strengthen public sector systems in Tanzania by improving the quality, delivery, and use of public services. PS3+ works with regional and local government authority (LGA) systems across sectors to promote the delivery of quality essential services, equity and responsiveness, transparency and accountability, and facility autonomy to raise and allocate resources. This efforts support Tanzania’s journey to self-reliance.
Among government priorities supported by PS3+ is the strengthening of public financial management (PFM) systems used by Local Government Authorities, frontline service providers and lower-level governments to ensure prudence in the use of public funds. PS3+ supports the GOT to improve efficiency in revenue collection, planning and budgeting and expenditure management across these different levels of government. The PS3+ project is also designed to institutionalize and build the capacity and commitment of GOT partners to ensure sustained use of these strengthened systems beyond the life of the project.
As the Director of Public Financial Management Systems, you will lead the design and implementation of public financial management strengthening interventions supported by PS3+.
- Lead and oversee the implementation of PFM interventions supported by PS3+.
- Support the senior management team (COP, DCOP, Senior Directors) and work closely with the other technical directors (Health Financing, Information Systems. Local Governance and Citizen Engagement) to achieve the successful transition of improved systems and supportive activities to the GOT by project end.
- Lead PS3+ engagement with the GOT in exploring innovative approaches to accelerate the institutionalization of PFM strengthening reforms.
- Oversee and support a team of subcontractor specialists tasked with strengthening and monitoring the use of PFM systems at all levels of the GOT.
- Introduce innovative approaches to institutionalize the “Direct Facility Financing (DFF) Management Framework” in procurement and management of funds transferred to facility bank.
- Represent PS3+ in meetings with government agencies and development partners (World bank, other donors) to build synergies and encourage stakeholder buy-in for PFM strengthening strategies supported by PS3+.
- Lead PS3+ support strengthening internal audit capacity at LGAs and central level in collaboration with GOT and other implementing and development partners
- Support institutionalization of PFM-related training (e.g., IPSAS module) into Distance Learning for the benefit of both LGAs and Central Government
- Direct and oversee the quality of reports required by the project reporting cycle.
- Support other duties consistent with director responsibilities across the PS3+ project.
What We Value
- Bachelor’s Degree + 15 years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + 12 years of relevant experience, or PhD + 10 years of relevant experience.
- Degree (Masters or PhD) in Public Finance, Economics, public financial management
- CPA (T) or ACCA qualifications
- Experience in the development of financial management systems at local government or facility level
- At least 10 years of experience in leading the development of financial management systems at local government or facility level
- High level understanding of public financial management policies and systems used at Local Government level, lower-level governments, and facility level (e.g., PlanRep, MUSE, FFARS and LGRCIS)
- Experience in leading technical assistance activities designed to improve Audit Performance at Local Government Authorities in Tanzania
- Extensive knowledge of direct facility financing (DFF) and its use in Tanzania.
- Strong familiarity with the rules and regulations that govern the use of GOT funds.
- Excellent report writing skills and experience presenting to various audiences on development activities and PFM concepts
- Demonstrated experience engaging GOT decision makers in policy development and planning exercises.
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.