Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children. We work in more than 120 countries, saving children’s lives; fight for their rights; help them fulfill their potential.
We work to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Across all of our work, we pursue several core values: accountability, ambition, collaboration, creativity and integrity.
In 2013 we reached over 143 million children through our work, including over 52 million children directly. Follow this link to read our latest International Annual Review.
Communications & Campaigns Coordinator
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Advocacy and Campaigns/Tanzania Country Office
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam with travel
CONTRACT LENGTH: 1 year, renewable
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Campaigns and Communications Coordinator is responsible for designing, and delivering innovative campaigns strategies as well as communication products to support CO advocacy agenda, increase visibility and create a positive public image of Save the Children in Tanzania. The function will collaborate with others in the organization to achieve brand consistency in line with organizational policy standards and donor requirements.
The Campaigns and Communication Coordinator will also be responsible for managing, and updating social media platforms and website, ensuring quality, accuracy of information and inline with the organizational policies and procedures.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Advocacy and Campaigns Manager.
Dimensions: Save the Children International, works in 8 regions in Tanzania with a current staff complement of approximately over 150 staff and current expenditure of approximately $15 million in 2019.
Internal: Advocacy and Campaign Manager, Technical Specialists, Programme Managers, Information and Technology Officer/Assistant, Programs, Operations and departmental leads, consultants and visitors.
External: media, service providers, national and local authorities, and partners including children
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Lead and coordinate the delivery of the Save the Children Campaign(s), providing leadership and supporting area program teams
- Lead the designing and implementation of campaigns activities taking advantage of key moments to deliver on the CO campaign objectives.
- Build and maintain effective, collaborative strategic relationships with Save the Children’s campaigns team, including those in the Regional Office, and programme teams, ensuring consistent and high quality outputs.
- Identify and lead innovative campaign partnerships and coalitions, building and managing strategic relationships to achieve greater impact for our work.
- Coordinate Save the Children Tanzania’s engagement in regional and global campaigns through contribution of stories, videos, photos etc. to highlight Country office within such initiatives
- Accountable for the development and dissemination of Save the Children campaigns products targeted at various audiences
- Support the development, positioning, presentation and content of case studies, photos, messaging, fact sheets and multimedia for Save the Children’s key public audience.
- Responsible for all documents published, ensure all communication materials disseminated are in line with the Save the Children global branding policy and guidelines as well as donor guidance.
- Work closely with the program teams and the Programme Development Director, Advocacy and Campaigns Manager and Country Director on the conceptual design, graphic design, and production of materials for fundraising, campaigns and publicity
- Produce other external targeted products on an ad hoc basis as necessary and requested by the supervisor.
- Coordinate media engagement to ensure proper and effective coverage of Save the Children work
- Manage social media platforms and website to ensure regular updating of quality materials and consistency inline with SC policies and procedures. Will be required to collaborate with teams to ensure accuracy of information on responding to public opinions.
- Lead and support the program team in preparing communication products project briefs, report highlights, operational highlights etc. for the country office and field offices as requested.
- Compile and develop Save the Children’s monthly, quarterly and annual country reports, and newsletters
- Provide leadership to content and layout of creative promotional materials such as leaflets, fact sheets, info graphics, creative audio visual information, brochures and other communications materials.
- Lead the development of a communications calendar capturing priorities of actions and products for the Country office
- Coordinate and support the country office team in rolling out the Save the Children brand across field offices, and projects ensuring brand quality and consistency
- Promote internal staff communication channels such as workplace and others as well as ensuring staff have sufficient knowledge and are fully engaging
Documentation and Information Management:
- Accountable for the documentation and dissemination of internal success stories, program outputs
- Responsible for consistent and effective flow of information of relevance to Save the Children’s activities, keeping relevant teams up to date on all developments internally and externally.
- Responsible for country office staff in monitoring external information sources (news sources, products, partner products etc.) relevant to Save the Children’s work in Tanzania, synthesize and share relevant briefs as appropriate.
- Networking( Skilled Level)
- Actively participates in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Gathers and distributes organizational intelligence maintains and develops a range of contacts and keeps them informed
- Knows what is needed from contacts and what they need to benefit from the relationship too
- Applying technical and professional expertise (Skilled level)
- Delivers work that reflects good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in the work area/sector
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant Save the Children codes of conduct
- Working effectively with others (Skilled level)
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact
- Innovation and Adaption (skilled level)Able to list processes and procedures in work unit/ department that could be improved.
- Capture learning after completing tasks or activity and identify ways it could have been done differently.
- Able to engage teams and open to suggestions about how to improve ways of doing things.
- Communicating with Impact (accomplished level)
- Conveys complex issues with clarity, brevity and confidence
- Promotes dialogue with key stakeholders through active listening and effective questioning
- Adapts communication style to maximise support and engagement
- Advises others on different approaches to influence key stakeholders
- Seeks out new methodologies for communication to engage new audiences
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved;
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same;
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale;
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters;
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to;
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- willing to take disciplined risks;
honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity;
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in relevant field such as Mass Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or any other related field
- 5 Years working experience in communications, campaigns, documentation or advocacy
- Strong understanding of approaches for communicating information to a wide range of audiences.
- Advanced proficiency in design software including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign
- Ability to multi task, work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines, responsive to external requests and strong team player.
- Excellent communication skills with excellent command of the English language. Knowledge of written and spoken Kiswahili is desirable.
- Ability to review and edit reports and products (in English) for dissemination and publications.
- Experience identifying target audiences and devising promotional and campaign strategies to engage, inform and motivate current and potential partners
- Willing and able to travel time to all parts of the Tanzania mainland, and Zanzibar to support field teams as necessary
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
The deadline for submitting the application is 30 January 2022.