Assistant Construction Engineer Officer - Specific Task Contract
TITLE: Assistant Construction Engineer Officer
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Refugee Response Programme, Tanzania
LOCATION: Kigoma region Refugee Camp
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: (select only one)
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children International in Tanzania is a full–spectrum country programme and as such equal priority will be given to both humanitarian and development work. This is the only way we will be able to ensure that some of the fundamental rights that we believe children have, such as survival, safety and constant access to protection and education can be guaranteed. As part of a commitment to work with children through humanitarian interventions, Save the Children will support programmes in both sudden onset, such as the current Burundi response situation as well as in chronic emergency situations
Reports to: Construction engineer officer
The job holder is required to have regular contact with the donor partners, other child protection organization, children, Host community, and Government organization.
The job requires the job holder to have direct relationship with all staff and management at all levels in ensuring the organizational policies and procedures.
- Provide the required support to the Construction Engineer Officer as per the construction activities;
- Maintain a database of all the projects, actions required and the progress by contractors and construction teams;
- Set up reporting mechanism to remotely monitor projects, to include checklists and photographic reports;
- Supervise the construction of schools, CFS, latrines, round shelters and any other construction activities that SCI will undertake;
- Implement field direction and ensure that high technical quality assurance is monitored in construction projects;
- Represent SCI in working groups and other coordination functions in the camp as and when necessary;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders in various construction-related activities;
- Provide technical specifications, BOQ and technical drawings as and when required;
- Ensure quality construction work is carried out by contractors as per SCI’s construction policy.
- Responsible and accountable for frequent construction site monitoring and supervision
- Provide necessary suggestion and technical backstopping to contractors, construction workers
- Monitor working conditions and be aware for problems that might arise regarding progress, quality and safety;
- Provide periodic progress reports and undertake verification of payment invoices;
- Carry out any other task(s) as assigned by the Construction Engineer or Area Field Manager;
- Comply with Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved;
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same;
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale;
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters;
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to;
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- willing to take disciplined risks;
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity;
• Diploma or Bachelors in Civil Engineering/ Architecture or construction related field;
• Minimum 1-2 years of experience in project implementation position, preferably in a humanitarian/recovery context;
• Experience from working in supervision, monitoring and execution of construction projects;
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
• Fluency in English and Swahili, both written and verbal;
• Previous work experience with a national/international NGO;
• Excellent in computer software such as excel, word, and CAD;
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Closing date: 18 Sep 2021 - 23:59 EAT
Location: Kigoma, Tanzania, United Republic of
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contract