Ardhi University (ARU) and the President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG) are implementing a project to mainstream Geographic Information System Mainstreaming (GIS) in 20 Local Government Authorities (LGAs) in Tanzania mainland for 18 months. The project is aimed at improving urban service delivery, improving urban management; and, enhancing councils’ Own Source Revenue (OSR) collection. The involved LGAs are Dar es Salaam City, Arusha, Mbeya, Mwanza, Dodoma, and Tanga City Councils, Kinondoni, Temeke, Ubungo, Kigamboni, Kigoma-Ujiji, Ilemela, Mtwara-Mikindani, Morogoro, Songea, Sumbawanga and Tabora Municipalities; and Geita, Kahama and Kibaha town councils.
Ardhi University (the consultant) is looking for GIS Specialists who will be stationed in each of the 20 Local Government authorities to assist and provide GIS Mainstreaming support to respective local government authorities.
JOB TITLE: GIS Specialist (40 Posts)
Duty station: In one of the listed 20 LGAs
Term: Short term contract – Four months renewable
● Provides effective Geographic Information System Mainstreaming in Local Government Authority, focusing on achievement of the following results: GIS is fully mainstreamed in all local government functional departments,
● Conduct awareness-raising and sensitization to Council’s Management Team regarding the use and benefit of GIS in LGA activities/functions,
● Collect and process primary and secondary data from the LGAs,
● Digitize data from remotely sensed imagery and upload spatial data to a web-based system (Joint Mapping Platform),
● Train Local Government Staff on the use of GIS software, particularly QGIS in making maps and extract other information to be used in the day to day functions of the LGAs,
● Develop capacity to make high-quality map products using desktop GIS, particularly QGIS for use in reports, for off-line use, and print hard copy maps,
● Advice to management, clients, and colleagues on issues related to the use of GIS in LGA functions especially revenue collection-related activities.
● A recognized university degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geoinformatics, Geoinformation Management, Remote Sensing (RS), Urban and Regional Planning, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Engineering, or any other related discipline with sound knowledge and experience in GIS. OR A recognized Diploma or Higher in Geoinformatics with required GIS Knowledge and skills, qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
● A minimum of at least 3 years of relevant experience in the field of Geographic Information Systems, preferably in training, awareness-raising, and advocacy
● Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and experience in handling web-based management systems.
● Advanced knowledge and use of at least one open-source GIS desktop package especially QGIS is desirable.
● Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken Kiswahili and English.
● Experience in working with local government authorities is an added advantage
● Only Tanzanian nationals are eligible
All applications accompanied with curriculum vitae, birth certificates, and copies of academic qualification certificates should be sent by mail via firstname.lastname@example.org to the
Program Manager, GIS Mainstreaming Program,Ardhi University,P, O. Box 35176,Dar es Salaam.
The deadline for receiving applications is 12th April 2021.
Only successful applicants will be shortlisted and invited for interviews.