JOB TITLE: Accountant
Location: Mwanza, Tanzania
The overall duties of the accountant are to ensure proper and efficient management of inflow and outflow as well as of efficient accountability of project funds. The accountant is responsible for all accounting routines and systems within the country office. He/she shall ensure that the country office always has adequate funds available and shall maintain accurate official records of all finance and financial transactions. He/she will work under the supervision of the Administration Team Leader.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
A. Accounting, and Vouching of financial transactions (55%)
● Verify bills in coordination with the finance team for required supporting documents.
● Ensure arithmetic accuracy of bills and approval on vouchers.
● Ensure that all taxes and related deductions are processed as appropriate.
● Ensure all transactions are timely recorded with adequate supporting documents and are in compliance with in-country/HQ policies.
● Prepare project payroll and ensure that the correct salaries and all relevant deductions are paid in due time.
● Implement auditors (internal and external) recommendations.
● Ensure accounting records for our PES scheme and payment to the farmers are accurate and ready to review at any time.
● Notify the team leader and Country Manager immediately upon discovery of any discrepancies in any transaction or financial recording.
B. Manage the Department of Finance office filing system to ensure that the Finance documents and records are appropriately filed and secured for easy retrieval (20%)
● Ensure that an effective filing system is in place in the office and transactions are serially filed.
● Ensure proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
● Maintain a staff retirement register and ensure each staff’s accountability/retirement is recorded in the system.
● Prepare bi-monthly financial report and other reports for the country office and Regional Office.
C. Petty Cash (20%)
● Prepare and file petty cash payments as per organization policies and procures.
● Review account discrepancies as needed.
D. Perform other jobs as directed (5%)
● Any other work-related duties as may be directed by superiors.
● Thorough knowledge of IFRS and experience with accounting and financial procedures.
● Strong investigative and analytical skills; ability to identify errors.
● Experience reconciling accounting figures and financial records.
● Ability to handle sensitive information.
● Ability to work to deadlines.
● Team player with the ability to work with multiple parties.
● Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and Accounting packages
● High level of attention to details, hardworking, methodological, efficient, and enthusiastic. Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
● Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
● Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
● Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation.
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related fields is required and with at least two-five years’ experience in accounting.
● Good understanding of Accounting Principles
● Strong vouching, accounting, and bookkeeping skills
● Computer proficient in accounting software, word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail and internet (Microsoft preferred)
● Knowledge and experience of working in multiple donor reporting systems.
● Strong oral and written communication skills in English
● CPA qualification is added advantage. Merits
● Strong conceptual and theoretical understanding of the rights-based approach and civil society development
● Experience working with international organizations/non-government organization.
● Apply by uploading your CV and cover letter to Impact pool no later than Monday the 5th of April 2021.
● Your application documents should be in English.
● The employment is a contract position with a six months probation period. Start date 1st of May 2021.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY