Information Management Officer
Host entity UNDP
Country United Republic of Tanzania
Duty station Dar es Salaam (TZA)
Language skills English, Swahili
Start date Immediate
Duration 6 months
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
- Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
The UN Volunteer will work under the supervision of the UNDP Resident Representative and Deputy Resident Representative, in the key functions listed below. He will also work closely with the Regional Information Management Officer, as part of the UNDP-UNV Tandem Teams Initiative.
Summary of key functions:
- Data Capture, Management and Analysis
- Data Visualization, Reporting and Application
- Technical Support
- Identify key data gaps for informed crisis risk tracking in the country.
- Propose a strategy and implementation plan for capturing required primary data
- Develop a process for and understand primary data gathering (e.g. designing and conducting periodic perception surveys).
- Identify and integrate additional primary and secondary data into the Crisis Risk Dashboard as required by evolving needs including the development, implementation and management of new indicators and corresponding data that are associated with the crisis risk model;
- Propose revisions and improvements to the overall design framework and data requirements for the risk tracking system, using as the key tool the Crisis Risk Dashboard (CRD) – a purpose-designed platform developed by CRU for online information management and data visualization - and ensure content is current, comprehensive, and follows relevant metadata standards;
- Produce and update information products such as maps, charts, and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline as well as support strategic and operational decision-making;
- Explore ways of presenting crisis risk profiles and early warning more effectively through visual representations (charts, graphs, tables and diagrams) through the CRD;
- Provide technical assistance in translating data and other program information into easy visual representations, in accordance with data visualization best practices;
- Consolidate operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis and design and implement sustainable information management and dissemination systems for data collections for the CRD, where required.
Training and Technical Support:
- Provide substantive input on information management toward the development of guidance and training materials in support of the Country Office / Country Team application of the CRD;
- Provide maintenance and end-user technical support in issues relating to the CRD information management use, including troubleshooting for data entry and access to the existing database;
- Provide technical assistance in order to build capacity of staff on how to integrate data visualization approaches into their work as well as how to update and monitor existing dashboards.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in information management, information systems, social science or related.
Required experience: 36 Months
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in information management, information systems, geographic information systems (GIS), database development, web management, visualization, or other related areas;
- Strong experience in conducting primary research, particularly in crisis contexts;
- Experience managing information in international development or humanitarian context as well as relevant experience within the UN system is highly desirable;
- Strong knowledge of best practices for data visualization and dashboards;
- Experience in providing excellent client/customer services;
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the management of information in an international development or humanitarian context;
- Ability to conduct data collection using various methods;
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases;
- Ability to quickly establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different cultural backgrounds and languages.
English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Swahili(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise: Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
- Intimate understanding of designing and conducting primary data gathering and research including survey design and implementation, facilitating focus groups, research interviews, etc.;
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Possesses strong analytical and research capabilities, including the ability to produce high quality reports and knowledge products;
- Knowledge of UNDP’s mandate, systems and tools in the area of conflict prevention, disaster risk reduction, environment/climate change, crisis preparedness and response;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor;
- Designs management systems based on established best practice;
- Formulates strategy for the implementation of systems;
- Review systems performance to support rigorous development of systems standards and modes of operation;
- Ability to coordinate and conduct trainings, ensure knowledge management, identify and share best practices.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Accountability, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Creativity, Integrity, Professionalism, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Candidates with long-term experience are encouraged to apply. Provided that the respective requirements are met, the assignment might be considered as UN Volunteer expert (15 years of experience), including 40% additional VLA or as UN Volunteer Senior Expert (15 years of experience incl. international experience), including 100% additional VLA.
Application deadline: 28th January, 2021
Volunteer opportunity PDF