Senior Grid Extension Advisor
RTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA, with approximately 5,000 employees and 30 years of experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We implement a variety of projects worldwide focusing on improving energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working withgovernments on legal and regulatory reforms, and increasing underserved populations’ access to energy. RTI is implementing on behalf of Power Africa/USAID a four-year, 10-country energy program focused on East Africa, the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP). Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Uganda comprise the EAEP priority countries. Other project countries include Djibouti, Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This four-year task order runs through December 2022.
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
RTI is hiring a Senior Grid Extension Advisor to oversee all work under EAEP’s Objective 2, Increased Grid-Based Power Connections, which focuses on adding new grid-based customers and reducing the cost and time requirements of adding new customers. This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and will be responsible for overseeing the work in multiple countries, starting with the priority countries listed above.
Responsible for facilitating the connection of new end-users to the grid via regularization, grid densification, and grid extension – with a focus on enhancing the cost-effectiveness and speed of electrification. Promotes increased grid-based productive and direct use applications and reduced grid connection costs for both customers and utilities.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,816+ POSTS)
- Lead Objective 2 Team – and supervise 7 direct reports and manage various sub- contractors
- Support utilities with long-term planning of transmission and distribution networks, including load forecasting, system analysis studies (load flow, fault and dynamic studies) with the aid of engineering simulation software (PSS/E, PSS Sincal, DigSilent, or similar) documented in master or expansion plans
- Support utilities and rural electrification agencies in reducing the cost of connections and time required to connect to the grid
- Work with the relevant utility/regulator to design and implement innovative, alternative business models for new on-grid connections
- Work with the relevant stakeholders and utilities to create demand for on-grid connections in several East African countries
- Develop training workshop programs and train utility staff on integrating geospatial and engineering platforms into their daily operations and electrification plans
- Improve utilities’ procurement procedures and train them on how to follow the guidelines and templates of international lending agencies or donors
- Support utilities with rehabilitation and expansion of transmission and distribution (T&D) networks by providing them with technical assistance on T&D operational improvements
- Manage subcontractor’s tasks and deliverables as per all above.
Required Minimum Qualification And Experience
- Minimum of Master’s degree in engineering, economics, or a related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in utility transmission and distribution planning and grid extension, with 5 years direct international work experience in developing countries; experience in East Africa desirable
- Preference will be given to candidates who have PSS/E, PSS/Sincal, DigSilent or similar experience
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,816+ POSTS)
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Demonstrated success managing and leading technical and administrative teams
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
- Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization; ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGOs, and other agencies
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within the broader team.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Experience in general business administration and financial management
- Ability to speak, read, and write at a professional level in English language