About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T)
providing care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and has been
actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources,
personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has
expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a
hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the Zone to community support
through decentralized services, with the overall objective of
implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment
services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the
Southern Highlands Zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, and Songwe. The
program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention
care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the jobs positions below...
Executive Director - Military HIV Research Program
Job Category: Executive
Requisition Number: EXECU01574
Location: Dar es Salaam, DS, TZA
Travel Required: Yes
Join the HJF Team !
HJF is seeking a Executive Director to support the US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,816+ POSTS)
The incumbent will work to support the program across Tanzania in the day-to-day oversight of diverse activities and personnel executing and supporting public health and research programs. Activities will include, but are not limited to, senior review and approval, where appropriate, of procurement and contracting activities and documents; coordinating and responding to requests from senior management and designated program and funding authorities (i.e. MHRP, HJF HQ, Embassy team etc.), and engaging with local and international partners. The Executive Director is the primary point of contact with the WRAIR US Government (USG) team based in Dar es Salaam and serves as the HJF in country lead for PEPFAR implementation. Additionally, the Executive Director maintains routine communication with Government of Tanzania (GoT) counterparts, and partner institutions, and is responsible for overall program management and guidance to team members.
The PEPFAR program in Tanzania covers four regions in Southern Highlands Zone with a catchment population of over four million people. The large portfolio includes over 370 medical facilities and 40 NGO/CBO/FBO spanning facility-based services and community interventions ensuring a continuum of care throughout the zone. Services provided by local partners span the gamut of behavioral prevention to Anti-retroviral Therapy (ART). This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with frequent travel to Mbeya and Dodoma, as required.
- Continuously drives strategic direction and planning process for the program in country in coordination with US-based HJF and WRAIR personnel and WRAIR staff located at the Embassy in Dar es Salaam.
- Represents the program in all matters pertaining to implementation before the Government of Tanzania (GoT), WRAIR, and other key stakeholders, including interactions with the most senior levels representatives of these institutions.
- Fosters and cultivates high-value relationships with all relevant the Ministries (Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Office of the Prime Minister, National Institute of Medical Research, etc.) and other GoT institutions (National AIDS Control Programme and President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government) at all levels.
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships and alliances with the other USG partners and funders, including private sector partnerships.
- Strongly advocates on behalf of the program with the GoT and other national/international partners.
- Increases positive visibility of the program through effective representation at high-level visits with USAID, CDC, PEPFAR, and the Ministry of Health.
- Champions the work planning process; ensures that programmatic plans are in line with overall strategic goals and that administrative/operational work plans can effectively support those activities.
- Serves as the senior level position overseeing all HJF/HJFMRI activities supporting the WRAIR PEPFAR care and treatment program in Tanzania.
- Develops and maintains a broad, consistent, and constructive engagement with MHRP headquarters, HJF Home Office (HO) and HJF Regional Office (HRO) to foster a sense of shared community, mutual trust, and transparency.
- Engages in frequent and routine communication with HJF HO, HRO, WRAIR HQ and WRAIR Dar es Salaam, keeping all abreast of progress and potential issues.
- Works with administrative, technical and programmatic leads to ensure effective implementation and coordination of program activities and monitor progress toward the achievement of the project-specific program goals and objectives.
- Ensures that technical, financial, and administrative activities are carried out according to WRAIR/ US Dep. of Army and HJF policies and procedures.
- Ensures the human, material, structural, and financial resources are appropriate for the program’s success.
- Responsible and accountable for the financial performance of the site to include high quality and on-time delivery of interim and final budgets.
- Presents progress, achievements, and lessons learned to key stakeholders, including funder, government, and other implementing partners.
- Ensures timely and accurate reporting of program activities and results to HJF HO, WRAIR and USG in country contacts.
- Oversees implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and assures the quality of technical interventions at national and provincial level.
- Assures the sustainability of interventions, particularly in the area of capacity building.
- Proactively identifies and resolves potential problems and solicits assistance and input as needed to ensure that the project's performance meets or exceeds technical and financial contractual requirements.
- Provides collaborative assistance and mentoring to other program personnel and research scientists that require the incumbent's expertise.
- Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
- Leads and supports a productive team environment.
- Completes other projects as needed.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,816+ POSTS)
Minimum Education: Master’s in public health is required. PhD in a related field preferred. At least 10 years of professional experience in global health; 10 years of senior level experience in program development, implementation, and successful management of health programs; research or medical programs experience a plus. At least 10 years of direct leadership, management, and supervisory experience. Demonstrated familiarity with - and execution of - PEPFAR implementation. Proven ability to solve complex technical and management problems in a timely and successful manner. Sound versatility and integrity, as well as leadership and decision-making skills.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: More than 10 years of relevant work experience required.
Physical Capabilities: Incumbent will be expected to relocate to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and frequent travel to supported regions in the Southern Highlands, Dodoma, and Bethesda, Maryland (USA) as necessary to perform job duties.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Director, Global Health Program, HJF, in the US as well as in conjunction with the Tanzania WRAIR Country Director, the senior USG DoD personnel in country.
Work Environment: May require working evenings and weekends, as necessary.
Travel Requirements: This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania with frequent travel to Mbeya and Dodoma, as required.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (2,816+ POSTS)
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Yes. Will be based in Dar es Salaam, with frequent travel to Mbeya and Dodoma
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)