Regional Director East Africa
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview
Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
The East Africa Regional Director (RD) oversees the design, development and implementation of our programs in East Africa, including—but not limited to—Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Ethiopia. The RD is responsible for ensuring a steady pipeline of new business opportunities—through proactive relationship building with key donors—as well as ensuring the quality and compliance of all operations. The RD reports to the Chief Program Officer and serves as a member of TechnoServe’s global senior management team.
The RD will have significant management and international experience, a passion for economic development, relevant language skills, and be capable of thoroughly understanding and successfully leading program teams and operations across multiple countries. S/he is expected to be an outstanding communicator and team leader. Previous experience working with organizations of TechnoServe’s size and scope is important and private sector experience is highly desirable. The RD will embody TechnoServe’s values of collegiality, integrity, resourcefulness and results.
Key responsibilities include:
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (1,316+ POSTS)
Strategy and Leadership
- Oversee the design, development and implementation of programs across West Africa and drive strategy for the region as a whole
- Hold responsibility for East Africa’s $15 million annual regional operating budget
- Support country and regional program directors to develop strategies, platforms and budgets
- Ensure country programs meet quality standards and integrate project monitoring, learning and evaluation into decision making and work planning
- Provide sound financial management and ensure contractual and donor compliance reporting
- Generate regional revenue, leveraging existing relationships and expanding the range of TechnoServe new business opportunities
- Support corporate fundraising efforts for current and new programs in the region and maintain donor relations
- Develop winning proposal strategies: organizing resources, contributing to or authoring proposals and negotiating agreements
- Recruit, retain, supervise and coach country directors and regional team members
- Enable cross-cutting learning, partnership and collaboration between teams
- Support and encourage knowledge sharing and professional development among staff
- Manage regional human resource matters in partnership with HQ Human Resources
- Represent TechnoServe to public and private donors and others of significance globally
- Support country directors in West Africa to effectively manage relationships with stakeholders such as local and district governments, donors, nonprofit organizations and others
- Represent the region internally, updating the Senior Management Team, Executive Office and Board of Directors as appropriate of significant developments in the region
- A minimum of ten years of leadership experience, preferably in strategy consulting, business, finance or international development
- A minimum of three years of work experience in one or more developing countries
- A bachelor’s degree and preferably a post-graduate degree such as an MBA, MPP or MIA
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage multicultural and geographically dispersed teams in complex working environments
- Proven track record in successful business and program development design and authoring/overseeing winning proposals
- Strong foundation of knowledge in one or more of the following: economic growth, value chains, private sector, agriculture, entrepreneurship and/or SMEs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- An effective and inspiring communicator and negotiator with strong oral and written skills
- Demonstrated passion for TechnoServe’s mission and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, retain and develop staff
- Written and oral fluency in English required
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES (1,316+ POSTS)
Supervisory Responsibilities: Six direct reports including Country Directors, Chiefs of Party, Regional Program Manager and Proposal Development Manager
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515
CLICK HERE TO APPLY