Position: Communications Consultant
Advertised on behalf of : UN Women
Location : Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA
Application Deadline : 19-Apr-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Expected Duration of Assignment : Six months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Government of Tanzania is committed to promoting gender equality and the advancement of women’s human rights as evidenced in the Constitution and as a signatory to various global and regional instruments such as the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa, the Sustainable Development Goals, among others. In Tanzania, UN Women is implementing the Country Strategic Note 2017 – 2021, in support of national development priorities and international commitments on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE). It works closely with UN sister agencies in delivering on the United Nations Development Assistance Plan (UNDAP) II covering period 2016 – 2021, under the UN Delivering as One modality. UN Women provides high quality advisory and technical support to government institutions including the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MHCDGE&C) in mainland and the Ministry of Labor, Empowerment, Elders, Women and Children (MLEEWC) in Zanzibar as well as sectoral Ministries and key institutions such as National Assembly. UN Women also works very closely with women’s organizations, other gender equality advocates, academic and research institutions, media, and the private sector to strengthen policy-oriented advocacy efforts for reform and implementation of laws and policies that protect women’s human rights; it also partners with community based organizations and traditional leaders on the engagement of men and boys. UN Women plays a leading role in efforts to coordinate UN inter-agency work and multi-stakeholder dialogues and joint programme initiatives.
In view of the COVID-19 epidemic, UN Women is supporting the Government to mainstream gender in the National Response; and providing technical assistance through the Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) Pillar of the national response. The overall aim of this communication sub-committee of the national response committees is to contribute to the national preparedness and response plan to stop the transmission of COVID-19 in Tanzania, through effective evidence based social mobilization, community engagement and public education that supports desired behavior change for both women and men. UN Women’s sustained support to the RCCE will ensure that issues of gender equality, women and girls are included in all communication and advocacy initiatives to promote gender equality in all response interventions. At the UN level, UN Women is working through the United Nations Communication Group (UNCG) to support development of gender-responsive communication products for the implementation of the UN Crisis Communication Action Plan. The objective of this plan is to ensure a consistent, timely and coordinated communication response of the UN System in Tanzania to the COVID-19 crisis both externally and internally.
Duties and Responsibilities
Plan and design communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Develop and implement communication work plans for key activities;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as requested;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports;
- Represent UN Women in joint UN events in respect to integrating COVID 19 through innovative programs, grassroots advocacy, coordinating with government, CSOs, UN and media partners and producing visibility products.
- Develop and produce communication instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and draft articles for publication, and manage dissemination;
- Provide guidance and technical support in the implementation of the Risk Communication and Community Engagement Plan; and the United Nations Crisis Communication Action Plan;
- Coordinate production of communication products such as Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials; human interest stories; messages targeting different audiences and social media content to showcase UN Women’s contribution to the COVID-19 response;
- Collaborate with communications teams in the UN Women Regional Office and Headquarters to synchronize communication activities along the regional response plan for regular exchange of information and production of visibility products on emerging gender issues in the COVID-19 context;
- Identify and propose visibility opportunities through planned activities in collaboration with partners;
- Manage the UN Women corporate branding; translation/adaption/rewriting of information received; printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow communication and advocacy guidelines from HQ and RO.
- Support UN capacity building efforts and sensitizations of local media
- Manage relations with the media in-country; maintain and update database of relevant media organizations;
- Respond to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for media, as required;
- Prepare press kits, draft news releases, monitor the media (track stories on gender equality and women’s issues), create and update media lists and outreach.
- Collect and share weekly news bulletin containing news on UN Women Tanzania, and all gender and women’s issues related news reported in local media.
- Draft talking points for the Representative.
- Represent UN Women in UNCG and ensure GEWE in UN messages
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility and support resource mobilization efforts;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Develop donor packages to maintain partnerships.
- Develop visibility content to reflect the Country Office’s activities on the regional and global online platforms;
- Develop social media content for the Country Office, UN Tanzania, regional and global social media platforms in line with corporate social media policy; and
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
- Gather information for news stories, analyze data and research studies to produce programme factsheets, position papers and policy briefs on gender in Tanzania;
- Document meetings, events and workshops through various products and online platforms;
- Produce and design visuals for communications products, archive and caption photos for sharing and maintain a photo library through platforms such as Flickr and UN Women share drive; and assist in the knowledge management of the UN Women products and publications;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities, in close partnership with Thematic Program Leads, M&E Specialist and Innovations Analyst;
- Provide trainings on communication and advocacy for staff and implementing partners, in close collaboration with the Country Office, the Regional Office and HQ.
- Developed and implemented work plans on the communications and media
- Quality inputs and analysis into the communications strategy for the office
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends from women’s rights and gender equality perspective
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage of UN Women by the media
- Understands advanced concepts of communication
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing his/her work
- Keeps abreast of new developments in communication and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Respect for Diversity
- Cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Good communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s human rights
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in media and/or communications studies, journalism, public relations, or relevant field is required
- At least 3 years of professional experience at national or international level in media relations, communications or advocacy for gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment;
- Excellent writing, facilitation and presentation skills in English, including preparing briefs, reports, articles for wide audiences;
- Relevant experience in delivering communications services to promote international and/or UN programmes would be considered an asset;
- At least 1 year of professional experience in developing advocacy materials (print, radio, and/or online) with focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Experience in organizing and managing large media and publicity events and campaigns;
- Experience in developing content for media/communication/advocacy campaigns or implementing campaigns;
- Good understanding of web development technologies;
- Experience in on-line outreach and multimedia;
- Experience in use of web editing tools and social media platforms;
- Experience in photograph and video editing;
- Previous experience in Africa within the UN System and/or International Organization is considered an asset.
Fluency in English both in speaking and writing
Knowledge of Kiswahili language is an asset.
The duration of the contract is for 6 months in the period of 29 April 2020– 20 October 2020.
The assignment will take place in Dar es Salaam, with possibility of in-country travel.
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application:
- Cover letter, to include: (i) a brief overview about which of your previous experiences makes you the most suitable candidate for the advertised position; sample of 2 recently published articles within 2 – 3 month period, including references/citations; and (ii) a brief outline methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work.
- Financial Proposal: (Specifying a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this Terms of Reference). The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (daily rate, travel costs and number of anticipated working days)
- P11: including experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Payment to be released on monthly basis in agreement with the consultant upon the approval of all deliverables by the UN Women Head of Office.
- Click link at the end of this advert.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.