Procurement Officer (m/f/x) - TanzaniaDar es Salaam, Tanzania
is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s
governmental cooperation. The agency also works for other national
and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad,
Enabel offers solutions to address pressing global challenges -
Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security,
Economic and Social Inequality - and to promote Global Citizenship.
With 2,000 staff, Enabel manages about 170 projects in twenty
countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
Enabel is at a turning point in its existence. The major reform of the Belgian development cooperation brings new policy orientations and points of attention, new financing mechanisms and specific performance criteria. There are result obligations to which the organization must meet, and ambitious targets to implement more interventions for other donors.
Enabel in Tanzania is preparing the launch of its new Country Strategy for the Bilateral Cooperation in Tanzania 2023-2027 while also preparing the kick-off of several interventions financed by other donors.
In this challenging context, we are seeking a Procurement officer for our head office in Dar es Salaam.
As expert/administrator in the public procurement domain
you will process dossiers that require specific public procurement expertise in order to ensure proper contractual management respecting deadlines, budget constraints and public procurement regulations
- Manage the public procurement procedure from A to Z for contracts upward from 30,000 € for the various interventions and the Representations and ensure good progress thereof; o Analyse the initial
- Advise the managing official in following up procurement contact performance and elaborate amendments, contract termination letters etc. in accordance with applicable legislation;
- Determine if certain changes are acceptable;
you will advise internal clients of interventions and Representation to accompany the co-workers and help them achieve their operational objectives and develop their skills :
- Support the development of and supply to interventions the necessary tools for the proper management of public procurement contracts (templates, guidelines, checklists and other tools);
- Guide the projects in defining the steps of the procurement contract/call for proposals procedure, to establish a planning and to support them in all steps of the procedure;
- Support the elaboration of contract planning of interventions;
- Analyse, revise and complete the documents submitted at each stage of the contract process by the interventions:
- Advise and provide guidance on the choice of procedures adapted to the needs of the interventions for complex and less complex dossiers;
- Provide advice on the good management of contracts;
- Capitalise on good practices and disseminate that knowledge
As knowledge manager
you will identify and capitalise on knowledge to better share it and rationalise it in order to facilitate access of internal clients and in order to ensure adequate management of public procurement :
- Know applicable public procurement/grants legislation and study the regulatory framework and other documents regarding public procurement in accordance with Belgian legislation, EU and DG DEVCO regulations;
- Follow up and assimilate evolutions in legislation, doctrine and jurisprudence;
- Participate to specific training in the matter;
- Know the contractual framework of Enabel and remain informed, including on Enabel’s grant regulations;
you will check and compare information and reports in order to guarantee that data are correct and of quality and that the procedure is regular:
- Ensure a priori checks and provide Notice of No Objection in accordance with the levels fixed by the internal control for public procurement of interventions whose management does not fall under the service centre;
- Ensure that contracts are permanently performed, in consultation with the technical officers, in order to adapt the contracts to needs and in view of strict budget management and to avoid business, legal and technical issues with the suppliers
you will follow up the dossiers with external instances (Court of Audit, audits…) and guarantee good communication in order to guarantee good progress of dossiers:
- Write letters in the framework of the procedures, including the provision of explanations, whilst strictly respecting equal treatment of tenderers;
- Receive questions, answer them, or forward them to other competent persons;
- Maintain relations of trust with external companies whilst keeping independence of appreciation;
- Follow up remarks and questions of audits as well as the implementation of resulting recommendations/actions : Provide all supporting documents required in support of dossiers, in order of frequency;
- Inform the management of any remark or observation made by a controlling instance and propose an appropriate answer or an adaptation of the practices used if these are subject to criticism.
- Your profile You are Tanzanian
- At least Bachelor (secondary education +3)
– Min. 5 years in public procurement management in the public sector.
– An earlier professional experience with a (bilateral or multilateral) donor is an asset.
– An earlier professional experience in the domain of development is an asset.
– Good knowledge of public procurement legislation.
– Excellent written and spoken English and Swahili
– Good knowledge of ICT applications
– Agile, flexible and cooperative.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission, and values of Enabel, see for more information: Enabel
We offer you
- We offer you : A fascinating and interesting job in an international environment.
- An definite period contract of 60 months
- You are based in Kigoma, with frequent travels within the targeted districts of the region and, on occasions, to Dar es Salaam for meetings
- You are employed by Enabel in the function of “Procurement Officer”. A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 4), and more benefits such as health care insurance, 13th month, holiday allowance and if applicable reallocation allowance.
- Relevant recognized experience for the function will be valorized.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate based on gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by 22nd September 2023.
Only applications that are registered here via our on-line portal will be considered.