Head Chef Job Opportunity at Singita
Singita is a South African company which operates game lodges in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, and Rwanda.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Her
Singita is recruiting for a Head Chef and a Pastry Head Chef, for the properties in Tanzania.
The main purpose of the Head Chef is to manage the kitchen and the quality of food in the various sections, in line with the Singita Standard of Excellence and SOPs.
- Drive the broader goals of the Company by planning and implementing strategic plans and goals
- Oversee the management of the staff canteens by ensuring that all staff are provided with meals sufficient in quantity and nutrition.
- Ensuring the ultimate food experience for the guests, in line with the food concept of the lodge.
- Effective guest interaction to enhance guest experiences.
- Supervise the quality of food produced and served in a hygienic manner.
- Designing of menu – follow and implement new food concept.
- Monitoring the quality and care of equipment and products – minimising breakage.
- Administration of orders to minimize shortages and wastage.
- Handover responsibilities and requests to the next shift coming on duty and ensure that a handover is received from previous shift, when coming on duty.
- Where applicable: preparation of pastry items to Singita standards, that include, breads; croissants; Danish pastries; ice-creams; sorbets; cakes; biscuits and desserts.
- Identify and eliminate potential risks in the workplace to ensure minimal liability to Singita.
- Run the kitchen in a cost-effective manner, within an agreed budget. Strategic management of food to reduce waste, such as portion control and stock rotation.
- Implement and maintain Health and Safety procedures, such as cleanliness and hygiene of the kitchen kept to the highest standard.
- Communication with departmental teams to ensure that guest needs are met, and operations run effectively.
- Look for opportunities to grown and train staff; and involvement in succession planning.
- Contribute towards the sustainability operations of the lodge, operating within lodge environmental parameters and constantly looking for ways to further ‘green’ lodge operations
- Active participation in and effective communication and support of Singita’s conservation message and purpose.
- All roles at Singita may be required to perform other tasks as reasonably requested from time to time and as required by the business and/or operation. Singita fosters a culture of collaboration, and with this a support of the multi-skilling of staff.
Skills & Experience
- A 3 Year Chef Qualification or a minimum of 4 years’ experience in a role of similar responsibility.
- Able to calculate food costs and understand kitchen budget.
- Good computer literacy.
- Understanding of kitchen procedure and timing requirements, able to plan accordingly.
- Wide food knowledge, able to design menus.
- Awareness of dietaries.
- Ability to train and manage staff.
- A clear understanding of labour law and disciplinary procedures.
- Passion for the industry and willingness to grow.
- Understanding of hygiene protocols and equipment.
- Sound knowledge of cleaning methods and products.
- Knowledge of safety procedures and the use of firefighting equipment.
- First Aid training (provided by company).
- Care in personal hygiene and grooming.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Stamina for physical activity.
- Nationality or valid working visa.
How to Apply :