Deputy Counsel at Citi Bank
Job Id: 23679181
The Deputy Counsel is an intermediate position responsible for managing a variety of day-to-day legal activities in coordination with the Country Counsel. The overall objective of this role is to provide legal support, advice, and guidance across a broad range of practice areas.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Her
In coordination with the Country Counsel, provide legal advice and support to Country Business Management on legal, control function and regulatory matters associated with Citi’s business activities and legal entities in the countries covered; ensures that Citi is appropriately addressing legal, regulatory, franchise and reputational risks in these countries. Supports the Legal function in providing support and guidance to the local businesses and to all Citi functions on all aspects of local & Citigroup Legal related matters. Provide legal advice in multiple areas within a product or country or for an area of legal expertise (Litigation, Regulatory, HR, Employment, etc.) To review and analyse documentation against regulatory requirements and internal policies to advise business accordingly. Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm’s reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behaviour, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency, as well as effectively supervise the activity of others and create accountability with those who fail to maintain these standards. Supervise external counsel and resolve issues, escalating to manager as needed. Manage, co-ordinate and, in co-operation with Compliance, identify the impact of, and ensure compliance with, relevant policies, laws, and regulatory and supervisory requirements. Analyse documentation against regulatory requirements and internal policies to advise business accordingly. Execute tasks that support the fulfilment of the Firm’s overall obligations and responsibilities. To resolve problems, escalate to Country Counsel and other Senior Managers as needed. To assist the Country Counsel with company secretarial services at the franchise, as necessary. In close coordination with Country Counsel, manage coordinate and supervise corporate governance processes and procedures, in accordance with Citi’s Governance Policies, Standards, Processes and Procedures, local law and regulatory standards. Represent Citi in relevant external committees and industry organisations, as required. To support and back up the Country Counsel, as necessary.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience.
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Relevant experience preferably from another bank or law firm.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Tanzanian, laws and practices.
- Consistently demonstrate clear and concise written and verbal communication.
- Proven analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent command of English and Kiswahili language.
- An Advocate & Member of the Tanganyika Law Society.
- Bachelor’s degree/University degree or equivalent experience.
- Master’s degree would be an added advantage.