Forensic Investigator at NBC
NBC is the oldest serving bank in Tanzania with over five decades of experience. We offer a range of retail, business, corporate and investment banking, wealth management products and services.
The purpose of this job is to support the Bank in fighting against fraud and cyber-related crimes and developing a resilient fraud/cyber investigation plan with the aim of identifying these crimes and remediating them.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
- Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role.
- Conduct cybercrime/fraud investigations, gathering evidence from digital/electronic systems, analyzing investigative information, interviewing, reviewing technical data systems and case presentation in the court of law.
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise-Wide Risk Management Framework and internal NBC Policies and Policy Standards.
- Ensure that there is adequate support for necessary cybercrime investigation deliverables.
- Develop a good understanding of the Bank’s range of products and services.
- Develop close working relationships with business lines and other key stakeholders to aid the detection, prevention, and proactive response to threats.
- Maintain a current understanding of the financial crime compliance policies and procedures, industry best practices, criminal typology and developing trends.
- Work as part of the Forensic Investigation team aiming at yielding expertise from digital-related investigation and providing technical findings to support comprehensive investigation report.
- Serve as an investigative subject matter expert in conducting research utilizing various sources, data, and technology in developing intelligence products, briefings and recommendations for operations and senior-level decision-makers.
- Be proactive in exercising cyber control and preventing cybercrimes.
- Perform cyber, fraud and all other crimes investigations and advice on the improvement of controls to mitigate recurrence.
- Ensure appropriate data handling and documentation of digital evidence, in order to maintain data integrity throughout the investigation process.
- Effectively lead the planning and execution of forensic and investigative projects, including compiling electronic data, performing analysis, and preparing recommendations.
- Analyze, report, and monitor loopholes in the Banking Systems with a view to advising appropriate measures to be taken by the Bank Management.
- Make follow-up on matters relating to system and business processes to ensure system shortfalls are timely fixed by responsible units.
- Investigate possible security violations and develop impact analysis and recommendations to address issues.
- Ensure the Bank Management is appropriately informed of all cybercrime activities and any significant concerns and provide appropriate mitigation plans.
- Fully monitor cybercrime incidents and perform root cause analysis to determine trends and patterns of perpetrators.
- Participate in joint ventures with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all raised cyber issues are resolved timely and act as liaison officer to Law Enforcement Agencies (such as Police, PCCB and DPP) whenever there is a need for cyber or other fraud related information.
- Make follow ups of cases reported to Law Enforcement Agencies (Police, PCCB, DPP ) etc.
- Actively participate in team meetings for improvements to anti-fraud operations.
- Assist with the cybersecurity controls implementation of new business processes and solutions.
- Contribute to the review of cyber risk assessments, scenario analysis and new product or change initiatives.
- Coordinate relevant fraud trainings to develop and maintain knowledge, skills, and capacity.
- To investigate incidents and cases referred to Forensics investigations & whistle blow upon NBC & Absa Bank Referral Policies. Assist in the management of all investigation-related budgets and assume responsibility for the day-to-day approvals within approved limits. Liaise with Governmental authorities to ensure that forensics investigation and whistle blow is kept abreast of the most up to date information/intelligence on threat levels and advice on reacting to them.
- Review and investigate all incidents of a Security/ Safety nature and ensure that relevant Senior Management is kept informed.
- Ensure SLA is maintained within the Forensic Investigations Standard to the respective functions (incident owners).
- Ensure that Quality Assurance is employed in all investigations.
- Support country fraud management in developing training plans and courses, workshops, brochures, and other material to alert employees as to the Bank’s policy on fraud on how to report on fraud.
- Examine appropriate records and documentation, interviewing all relevant parties internally and externally where appropriate.
- Utilize available fraud detection systems and tools to undertake data-mining activities to enhance pro-active identification and detection of fraud.
- Attend to court and law enforcement agencies as may be appropriate.
- Liaise with other forensics teams to collate and share intelligence as appropriate.
- Support business in disciplinary hearings.
- Build and maintain relationships with other external parties (e.g., Police, National Prosecuting Authority, Anti-Corruption Commission etc.) to ensure that their cooperation can be obtained when required for key investigations.
- Ensure Recovery actions are initiated at the earliest when losses are discovered and call on those areas to execute actions identified by Forensics.
- Ensure case files and central case database are maintained to operational standards.
- Conduct any other duties appropriate to your role as assigned by HFI.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Digital Forensics, Cybercrime Investigation, Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent qualifications.
- Proficiency/Expertise in Information Technology.
- Professional qualifications in Cybersecurity and Law Enforcement (Cybersecurity Investigations).
- Minimum 5 years’ experience 3 of which must be in cyber Forensic Investigations. Additional experience in Forensic Report writing.
- Cyber threat and / or cybersecurity experience.
- Experience and / or knowledge of Digital Forensic Tools, methodologies, and protocols.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good understanding and appreciation of financial crime risk management practices and applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with passion for details, unwavering honestly, a determination to getting the truth, uncompromising approach in attainment of facts and always with Bank’s interests over possible personal gains.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and confidence in interrogating data, processes, and interviewing stakeholders/suspects.
- Ability to conduct multi-source investigations in collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data.
- A creative approach in solving problems, attention to details, well organized and exhibit methodical approach to work.
- A demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to recognize non-obvious systems activity patterns.
- Ability to work under pressure and remain objective, and ability to meet deadlines while working autonomously with minimal oversight.
- Excellent communication (oral/written) and presentation skills for effectiveness in writing management forensic investigation reports and statements for likely use in court processes and presenting findings to various levels of Management.
Bachelor’s Degree – Computer and Information Science, Digital, Digital familiarity (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Ethics and values (Meets all of the requirements), Forensic investigation (Meets all of the requirements), Openness to change (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Reasoning (Meets all of the requirements)