Mwambao Coastal Community Network was established in 2010 to help communities in Tanzania’s
coastal areas develop strong and effective local resource management systems that support livelihoods
and sustain marine ecosystems. Mwambao works to empower local communities and enable them to
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
|Job title:||Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer|
|Supervisor:||Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible|
spanning different coastal areas and
communities. This network structure fosters learning as well as collective action on shared interests such
as influencing policy.
Mwambao has emerged as a leading actor in facilitating community-based marine management in
Zanzibar as well as north-eastern Tanzania working with a number of key international partners. Mwambao has been working with Fauna & Flora International since  to support the effective management of the Pemba Channel Conservation Area (PECCA). Mwambao takes a rights-based approach to implementing measures that improve reef ecosystem health, improve the sustainability of key fisheries, improve local well-being through the inclusion of fishers into their fishing ground management and provide opportunities to engage in other livelihood activities.
Mwambao is implementing a multi-million Euro, a 4.5-year project funded by the Blue Action Fund (BlueAction). Mwambao is seeking an experienced MEL officer to support the effective implementation, monitoring, and reporting of ecological data associated with the BlueAction grant entitled ‘Increasing socio-ecological resilience through community-led management of key coastal ecosystems in the Pemba Channel, Tanzania’.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Officer will be responsible for supporting the Mwambao Coastal Community Network Tanzania (MWAMBAO) and MCCC Ltd in monitoring and evaluating the impact of their coastal management programs. The officer will play a crucial role in developing and implementing the MEL system, tracking project activities, and ensuring that strategic targets are met. The MEL Officer will also provide support in research design, data collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting.
- ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
He/she will monitor and evaluate Mwambao/MCCC coastal management programmes in Tanga Region, Pemba, and Unguja Zanzibar. He/she will report to the Head of MEL in planning monitoring and, reporting. As a part of the MEL team, the MEL Officer will serve as a leader and mentor to the Mwambao/MCCC field teams and provide MEL support. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement the monitoring and evaluation system for MWAMBAO/MCCC project activities that help the organisations understand the impact of programs and whether strategic targets are being met.
- Understanding Mwambao/MCCC partners’ MEL needs and format required
- Chasing and collating ME information for each community and the organisation, for various Mwambao ME needs.
- Creating tables for input and pivot tables/charts, updating.
- Creating forms for entry of information (KOBO forms)
- Work closely with the Head of MEL, CEO, Chief Technical Officer and Head of Programmes in the development and oversight and monitoring of all work plans.
- Support the Head of Programmes in project/narrative reporting to donors, ensuring narrative reports are delivered to donors by contractual deadlines.
- In collaboration with the Head of MEL, CEO and Chief Technical Advisor to help to strengthen partnership relationships of strategic importance to the organisation’s growth and success, providing MEL information where necessary
- Contribute to an organisational biannual narrative report. Collaborate with the CEO and Head of Programme to ensure weekly and monthly reports for each Field Officer and assist with the design of a template for these reports.
- Development of Mwambao/MCCC Data Collection and Management Protocol and systems, with the support of a Technical Advisor.
- Develop and maintain Mwambao/MCCC data storage systems
- Any other task to assist the team, especially in the formatting and checking of reports, and support with developing Mwambao gender policy and implementation within its programmes.
- As required and in line with approved strategic plans, contribute to and support the development of funding proposals, ensuring the accuracy and appropriateness of work planned in Tanzania
Budgeting and Reporting
- Contribute to the production of annual work plans and budgets, in line with annual project budgets and anticipated outcomes
- Ensure full compliance with Mwambao position statements, protocols, policies and procedures, ensuring work is done to high quality and within fund budgets
- Undertake regular travel to project sites, Tanga region, Zanzibar (Unguja and Pemba), relevant conferences and international meetings as required
- Support a culture of excellent communication, sharing of knowledge, lessons learnt and best practices and collaboration between project staff, wider Mwambao team members, supporting partners and other stakeholders as appropriate
- Undertake any other tasks commensurate with the position that may be requested from time to time by Line Manager.
- Not less than 2 years experience in Natural Resource Management (marine experience an advantage)
- Degree/diploma level education in relevant field
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the production of pivot tables and graphs
- Fluent written and spoken English is required and Kiswahili is an added advantage
- Proficiency in the use of data storage systems such as google drive
- Able to work as part of a team but confident to work independently
- Data collection skills including facilitation skills in focus group discussions and mobile data collection experience
- Data analysis skills
- Knowledge of R-studio or another statistical package (would be an advantage)
- Basic data analysis and interpretation skills, including presentation of results in bar charts and graphs
- Scientific report writing skills, including introduction, methodology, results, and conclusions
- Ability to read and interpret scientific papers
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to design new methodologies for ecological monitoring based on best practice
- Familiarity with the interpretation of maps showing marine resource distribution
- Prior experience in managing the design and collection of ecological and social data from field activities
- Prior experience in mentoring/training staff
- Prior experience in quality control of data collection and organisation of spot checks in the field, ideally in a marine or fisheries context
- Experience working for an NGO or research institution would be desirable
- Prior experience in basic data analysis and interpretation, and presentation of results in bar charts and graphs
- Prior experience in designing new methodologies for ecological monitoring based on best practices.
7. KEY RELATIONSHIPS:
Reporting to: Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Key relationships within Mwambao-MCCC- Project Manager- BAF, Head of MEL, CTA, Data manager
In addition to the above qualifications, skills, and experience, the ideal candidate should also be committed and a quick learner.
To apply for this post please submit a CV and Cover Letter (max 2 pages) and complete this form by 5th August 2023. The cover letter should include why you are interested in this position with MWAMBAO and emphasize how your skills and experience match those required for the job. Only candidates who meet the requirements for this position will be contacted for an interview.