Construction Director at Aga Khan Education Services
The Aga Khan Education Services in Tanzania (AKES, T) operates three schools, from nursery to secondary levels. Each school aims to provide a quality education that imparts a broad set of personal and intellectual skills which develops independent inquiry and critical thinking abilities. The origins of the Aga Khan schools in Tanzania go back to the 19th century when a girls’ school was started around 1905 in Zanzibar by Sir Sultan Mohamed Shah Aga Khan III.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
The focus of AKES in Tanzania is to implement educational programs that are designed to assist students in acquiring life skills as well as an intellectual foundation that will enable them to make their way confidently in a world increasingly characterised by globalisation and technological advancement. To meet the needs of diverse communities, AKES in Tanzania operates schools which run both National and International curricular.
AKEST is looking to hire qualified candidates for the below post based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Construction Director Position Objective
The Construction Director coordinates and delivers in phases the retrofit and new construction of the Aga Khan School (AKS) in Dar El Salam, Tanzania.
The position takes a ‘hands-on’ role liaising with all internal departments within AKS and external stakeholders, leading to the management of the Architects and Consultants in the pre-construction and site set-up phase, including the development procurement routes to ensure a robust and capable supply chain. Following the early pre-contract phase of the development program, the role will evolve into the construction management, in phases within a live fully occupied school, the AKS project to the desired budget, quality, safety, and timing parameters.
- Recruit / Develop / Manage and lead the Construction team, specifically required for each project phase.
- Take responsibility for the delivery of each project phase in line with the agreed cost budgets.
- Conduct regular briefing and coordination meetings with AKS management, work closely with all stakeholders and Senior Management and prepare necessary AKS construction progress/ procurement/cost reports.
- Lead, direct and oversee the planning and design of each project phase, including the performance of the architects/designers/ cost managers and project managers.
- Manage the construction of each project phase, including managing the relationships with and monitoring the performance of the contractors, architects, and project managers.
- Be ultimately responsible for all procurement, quality control, scheduling, costing, safety aspects and compliance with regulations of the construction and maintenance works as they are carried out on the sites.
- Prepares and manages annual budgets for construction activities.
- Lead, manage and coordinate the economic fallout activities of AKS, working in close conjunction with other AKDN agencies and institutions.
- Develop, manage, and coordinate suitable training courses for the AKS economic fallout effort.
- Manage the prequalification of contractors:
- Providing advice on contractual claims.
- Site visits, assessments, and projections for future work
- Manage the preparation of tender documentation and contracts with relevant Package Managers.
- Undertake cost analysis for repair and maintenance project work.
- Manage obtaining prices from local and international contractors, suppliers and service providers for works, materials, and services as required.
- Manage the tender negotiations on behalf of the AKS to obtain maximum value for money and mitigate project and contract risk.
Qualifications & Experience
- A degree in Project Management, architecture, engineering, construction management, or business administration. The degree must be at the graduate or master’s level.
- At least 10 years of project management experience in a construction project management setting, preferably in education facilities.
- Proven record in the delivery of projects from inception to operation:
- Proven records of managing multi works package projects utilizing local and international supply chains
- Proven records of managing a phase a retrofit/extension project in a large live school
- Proven records of managing different procurement routes (GC- General contractor, CM- construction management)
- Proven records of managing three projects simultaneously with using a mix of local and international contractors
- Proven records of managing the value engineering task during the design and construction phase
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with various constituencies in a diverse environment.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to coordinate and/or supervise independent multiple contractors and make administrative and procedural decisions;
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Clear proven record in the supervising and mentor / train employees and foster a cooperative work environment and ensuring clear future succession pathways.
- Knowledge of green building technologies and Net Zero initiatives
- Knowledge of emergency and disaster recovery planning;
- Understanding in the management of facilities and a proven record of smooth and effective handover of construction projects to operational buildings
How to Apply:
Applications should include a cover letter that demonstrates their suitability for the role with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, and the names of three professional referees one should be the current employer, and should be emailed by July 25, 2023, to:
The Human Resources Manager Aga Khan Education Service Tanzania P.O.Box 12563 Dares Salaam Email: email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.