Information and Communication Technology and Management Information Systems Officer Joint at SONGWECOM
The Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Malawi established the Joint Songwe River Basin Commission (SONGWECOM) through a convention, which was developed under Phase II of the Songwe River Basin Development Programme (SRBDP). The Convention was signed on 18th May, 2017 and came into force on 1st July, 2018 after ratification by both governments.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
SONGWECOM is a bilateral transboundary river basin organization established to sustainably manage the basin natural resources and implement the Songwe River Basin Development Programme (SRBDP) on behalf of the two governments. The Commission consists of three permanent organs: (i) The Council of Ministers (Council), (ii) The Joint Steering Committee (Committee) and (iii) The Secretariat.
Among the objectives of the Commission, as per the Convention, is to coordinate and implement the developmental aspect of the basin under the SRBDP and manage associated assets which include dam(s), hydropower plants, irrigation systems and associated infrastructure.
SONGWECOM now invites applications from qualified citizens of Malawi and Tanzania for the position of Information and Communication Technology and Management Information Systems Officer for the Commission. The successful applicant will be responsible for maintaining the management information system and the flood early warning system of the Commission and ensure information security standards and protocols are adhered to by all SONGWECOM staff and stakeholders. Being a key member of the management of the Commission, he/she is expected to provide technical guidance to the Secretariat in all matters concerning information technology and systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Information and Communication Technology and Management Information Systems (ICT & MIS) Officer shall have responsibilities as outlined hereunder.
Management Information System
He/she shall be the systems administrator for SONGWECOM and specifically:
- Design and maintain all project internal and external databases and work with other SONGWECOM staff to ensure that information needs are met;
- Update, operate and maintain SONGWECOM information systems including the Monitoring and Evaluation System, Flood Early Warning System and others;
- Update and maintain SONGWECOM internal and external databases including but not limited to training database, monitoring database, stakeholder database with user friendly interface and search possibilities;
- Work with other SONGWECOM staff members, including the Monitoring and Evaluation Expert, to create efficient systems to maintain and use project and other data for decision-making;
- Use of geographic information systems (GIS) software for project monitoring and supporting policy initiatives;
- Maintain the internal information system (intranet) of SONGWECOM;
- Work with other departments to design web and mobile-based systems to monitor project implementation, including data collection and management;
- Perform routine system maintenance, backing up systems and applications and ensure the integrity of the stored information by implementing security measures to be adhered to by all users within the organization;
- Prepare periodic MIS reports;
- Audit system data and make necessary modifications;
- Assist in documentation at programs/projects and media events as needed;
- Develop and maintain computer programs that require integration of many interrelated systems and program elements;
- Ensures appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area issues; and
- Review and develop information security policies, and related standards and guidelines;
- Information and Communication Technology:
- Determine field-based computer resource requirements and install computer hardware and operating systems, productivity software and other related software as required;
- Diagnose and repair user issues related to personal computers, phones, video conferencing, etc.;
- Maintain computer (including desk tops and personal computers) security systems to ensure that access to data is restricted to authorized staff;
- Arrange for and ensure appropriate server backups are preformed and stored on a regular basis;
- Manage and coordinate all equipment repairs, warranty issues, purchasing specifications in accordance with Information Technology (IT) Standards;
- Work with differing levels of technology and keep abreast of the latest developments and innovations in the IT field;
- Troubleshooting system errors/Troubleshoots hardware/software problems;
- Provide guidance to SONGWECOM staff concerning IT needs / planning; and
- Prepare the SONGWECOM IT Policy and ensure its implementation.
- Webpage and Social Media Development:
- H Provide technical support to the continual maintenance and updating of SONGWECOM website and other social media accounts;
- Assist in formatting, writing, and posting online news items, updates, and other relevant items, captions videos, creates electronic files in a variety of complex formats including graphics, and posts on SONGWECOM website and other social media accounts;
- Establish system for ensuring outdated web data and information is purged; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Executive Secretary and other direct supervisors from time to time
The candidate should not be more than 45 years of age at the time of application and should have the following qualifications:
Education and Experience
- A first degree in computer science, information technology, information systems, computer programming or related field. A master’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field will be an added advantage. Certification and/ or training in Information Security (such as GIAC’s Security Essentials, CISM, CISSP);
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in planning, designing, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related area with one year in supervisory role;
- Experience in one or more aspects of the implementation of an information security programme;
- Experience working with the International Organization for Standardization- IS027000 (ISO/IEC 270001), Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies (COBIT) frameworks, the Operationally Critical Threat, Asset, and Vulnerability Evaluation (OCTAVE) risk management methodology, or the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) web application testing methodology;
- Experience in development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related area;
- Experience in working with a multi-programme or multi-project system; and
- Fluency in the English language (speaking and writing).
Necessary Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of information technology/information management, particularly in systems analysis, database design and programming. Knowledge of several high-level programming languages and significant exposure to and demonstrated proficiency in all aspects of programming and analysis, including structured/object-oriented design, relational systems, scripting and query languages, document design and management, hardware and software requirements, systems facilities and execution protocols;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, to include proficiency in the development and implementation of systems of moderate size/complexity;
- Knowledge of interactive systems; good knowledge of organization’s information infrastructure and IT strategy as it relates to user area(s); independently maintains assigned systems and develops innovative approaches to resolve a wide range of issues/ problems;
- Familiarity with the project management framework of International Organizations;
- Showing pride in work and in achievements, demonstrating professional competence and mastery of subject matter, meticulous and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remaining calm in stressful situations; and
- Taking responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; and
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Uses time efficiently.
Potential candidates who meet the aforementioned requirements for the position are advised to send their application letters with a detailed CV, copy of a valid national identity card or passport, copies of relevant certificates and contact details of three traceable referees by email to:
The Joint Steering Committee
Songwe River Basin Commission
P O. Box 300
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday, 14th July 2023 at 17.00 hours (EAT). Please, note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.