Mwambao Coastal Community Network was established in 2010 to help communities in Tanzania’s
coastal areas develop strong and effective local resource management systems that support livelihoods
and sustain marine ecosystems. Mwambao works to empower local communities and enable them to
learn from each other through a community-based network spanning different coastal areas and
communities. This network structure fosters learning as well as collective action on shared interests such as influencing policy.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Mwambao has emerged as a leading actor in facilitating community-based marine management in
Zanzibar as well as north-eastern Tanzania working with a number of key international partners. Mwambao takes a rights based approach to implementing measures that improve reef ecosystem health, improve sustainability of key fisheries, improve local wellbeing through inclusion of fishers into their fishing ground management and provide opportunities to engage in other livelihood activities. Mwambao’s work now spans Unguja and Pemba islands as well as the northern mainland coast of Tanzania mainland.
- Overview of the role
Mwambao was recently awarded funding to continue and scale work in Pemba and on the Tanga-Mkinga coastline. This multi-million Euro project funded by the Blue Action Fund (BlueAction) spans 4.5-years. Mwambao is seeking a Communications Officer to support the delivery of communications under the Blue Action Fund Project and the delivery of Mwambao’s wider communications strategy. This role will be funded 50% of the time through the Blue Action Fund, and will contribute to ensuring the delivery of a range of communications outputs including: Project Factsheets and briefings, regular social media posts, liaising with local media, supporting logistics and planning for the development of short films.
- Key Relationships
Reporting to: Chief Technical Advisor
Key relationships within Mwambao Head of Coastal Livelihoods and Head of Coastal and Marine Programmes, Head of MEL, Technical Advisors.
- Roles and Responsibilities
Supporting Communications for the Blue Action Fund Project (50%)
- Support the development of a communications plan for the BAF project and lead the day to day implementation of the strategy
- Work closely with the Chief Technical Advisor and Heads of Programmes to identify and develop communications outputs including: blog posts, social media posts, factsheets, infographics.
- Regularly interpreting and conveying BAF program implementation messages through newsletters and social media.
- Work with Mwambao staff and consultants to develop short films including supporting script writing, liaison with videographers and photographers
- Support the communication Team to development of targeted communications around gender
- Work with the Fauna & Flora International Communications support to help promote specific project outputs or successes
- Prepare reports for internal or external distribution, including supporting regular donor reporting
- Facilitate all aspects of public relations including to educate others about proper communication practices, and assists in the development of positive relationships in the community.
Supporting wider programme communications (50%)
- Manage the day to day communications plan for Mwambao including:
- Providing regular social media updates
- Developing blog posts
- Managing an annual communications calendar and targeting specific communication around those dates
- Support the development of an annual communications plan
- Support quarterly reporting to government and sharing project updates
- Travel to the field to gather media (interviews, photographs)
- Ensure donor logos are used appropriately
- Coordinate with partners and collaborators such as photographers, members of the press, partner organisations
- Oversee the implementation of branded templates for Mwambao including and lead on the creation of project overviews in branded templates.
- Support and contribute to the maintenance of website, blogs, and social media accounts for the overall organization
- Support the training of the team members in skills of blog writing and photographing field work
- At least 3 years’ experience in a communications role
- Excellent writing skills in English and Swahili
- High attention to detail and to audience for communications
- Ability to work with partners and consultants
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work in Tanzania
- Creative approach
- Understanding of fisheries co-management or another related environmental field
- Connections to local media on Zanzibar, Pemba and/or Tanga (e.g. local tv or radio)
- Experience of delivering a communications strategy
- Experience workplanning
To apply for this post please submit a CV and Cover Letter (max 2 pages) and complete this form by April 2nd 2023. The covering letter should include why you are interested in this position with Mwambao and emphasize how your skills and experience match those required for the job. Only candidates who meet the requirements for this position will be contacted for an interview.