Sightsavers implements projects in over 30 countries in Africa and South Asia working to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Sightsavers Tanzania country office is looking for a Project Driver to provide reliable and safe driving services to Sightsavers partners and staff.
Title: Project Driver
Location: Babati Town Council, Manyara
Contract: 1 year fixed term contract
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
About the role
The Project Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services to staff and partners, transport goods and assist with transport related logistics. The driver will also be responsible to oversee the vehicles are maintained in a cost-effective manner by overseeing routine and preventive maintenance.
Project Driver key duties and accountabilities include:
- Provide transportation for project staff and related partners
- Follow up the driver planning, and scheduling using project Calendar and register transportation requests
- Deliver/distribute project goods to the respective districts
Service vehicle maintenance management
- Schedule periodical vehicle examination for service
- Apply for the renewal for the vehicle license
- Vehicle maintenance
- Update monthly mileage records
Information and Communication Management
- Providing the Project Coordinator at site with timely communications and updates
- Support project visibility.
This is a highly varied and involved role and the above is not an exhaustive list of duties or required professional skills. Please see here for the Job Description for full details.
Due to the safeguarding element of this role, the successful applicant will undergo a criminal background check.
As the successful candidate you will be an experienced driver who is organised, methodical and an excellent communicator.
- Valid Class C driving certification and clean driving record and/or VETA VIP driving and able to demonstrate safe driving practices
- Previous professional driving experience
- Secondary school certificate
- Physically able to reach, stretch, bend, and sit for long periods of time during daily routine
- Available to drive for long periods of time and to work at short notice and during unsociable hours as well as occasional over-night stays
- Experience of working with government partners and ministries
- Interpersonal, communication skills
- Able to work well alone
- Reliable and punctual with dedicated professionalism to job and duties
- Able to adapt to changing schedules or routines, organised and able to follow a schedule
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to assist staff/passengers when needed
- Focused on customer service
- A commitment to disability inclusion and diversity
- Able to attend a two-day interview process in Dar es Salaam
- Experience of working within an NGO environment
- Experience with administrative tasks
Closing date: 29 January 2023
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place from mid-February onwards and the evaluation process will include a first stage driving test by the National Institute of Transport and if successful this will be followed by an in-person interview the following day. The interview process will take place in Dar es salaam. Please note that Sightsavers are unable to cover any accommodation or transports costs over the interview process.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an
application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested
in learning of your motivations for applying.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.