About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T)
providing care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and has been
actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources,
personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has
expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a
hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the Zone to community support
through decentralized services, with the overall objective of
implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment
services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the
Southern Highlands Zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, and Songwe. The
program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention
care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the jobs positions below...
Join us in our efforts to end the HIV epidemic in Tanzania. Be part of the winning team to advance global health and save the lives of people living with HIV.
Senior Compliance Manager
Job Title: Senior Compliance Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Mbeya, Tanzania
The Senior Compliance Manager will make sure that HJFMRI Tanzania is conducting its business in full compliance with all Tanzania laws, HJFMRI policies, guidelines and SOPs as well as donor rules and regulations. He will maintain professional standards, acceptable business practices, and internal controls. He will provide assurance to HJFMRI Tanzania leadership team that the Organization is operating within a compliant framework. He will work in close collaboration with HJFMRI Tanzania leadership team, Regional Internal Audit (IA) and Home Office Ethics and Compliance teams. He will support both programs – Tanzania People’s Defence Forces (TPDF) and Southern Highlands (SHL) programs.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement and maintain a compliance monitoring programme and plan to ensure that HJFMRI Tanzania is operating within a compliant framework;
- Liaise with HJFMRI Regional Internal Audit (IA) and Home Office (HO) Ethics and Compliance teams to conduct periodic assessments of HJFMRI Tanzania acquisition and payment processes and systems to identify areas of vulnerability for fraud to occur, and provide recommendation of enhancements to strengthen HJFMRI Tanzania systems and procedures;
- In liaison with HJFMRI Home Office Ethics and Compliance and Regional Internal Audit teams conduct independent audits and / or investigations, as needed, at the discretion of the Executive Director or Home Office Ethics and Compliance Officer;
- Conduct periodic reviews or spot checks of HJFMRI Tanzania business practices and transactions, to test their compliance with laws, regulations, HJFMRI policies and procedures;
- Alert the Executive Director (ED) and Vice President Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer (CECO) upon learning concerns regarding fraud, forgery, misuse or theft of USG resources, bribery, conflict of interest, embezzlement, improper gifts, corrupt practices, kickbacks, new accounting practices, billing issues, falsification or destruction of information, mismanagement of funds, unauthorized discounts or credits, significant financial overpayments in the amount of $50,000, human trafficking. The Vice President CECO should also be brought into the loop whenever there is a possibility of any misconduct relating to or affecting our contractual obligations or violations of our code of ethics and in matters where an investigation is needed;
- In liaison with HJFMRI Regional Internal Audit and Home Office Ethics and Compliance teams provide guidance to HJFMRI Tanzania on the implementation of internal audit recommendations in the most efficient and effective manner;
- Review HJFMRI Tanzania specific SOPs and recommend process changes to further enhance the control environment;
- Coordinate the rollout and training of new or updated policies, SOPs and directives when required;
- Stay abreast of regulatory changes, including local reporting and compliance with applicable tax rules and regulations, update and guide HJFMRI Tanzania on their implementation;
- Conduct monthly review of statutory compliance for HJFMRI Tanzania, as stipulated by the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) and other Tanzanian regulatory bodies;
- Field country-specific ethics/compliance inquiries and liaise with the Executive Director;
- Participate in new hire and employee onboarding and training on ethics and compliance;
- Provide supervision, mentorship and monitoring support to the compliance department;
- Work together with HJFMRI Home Office, Regional Internal Audit and external auditors to evaluate internal control issues affecting both program and support operations for potential risk exposures; continually monitor and update the assessment of the control environment, keeping abreast of significant control issues;
- Assist in providing coordination and analytical support to Tanzania statutory and financial audits, HJFMRI HQ annual audit, local government audits, compliance reviews and other inquiries.
- Perform other ethics and compliance duties as directed by the Executive Director.
- University Degree in Accounting or Finance from a reputable academic institution.
- Professional accounting certification, CPA certification is an added advantage.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ working experience in the same field, including three (3) years of experience in managing staff.
- Demonstrate high integrity and strong values.
- Good reasoning and judgment skills.
- An analytical mindset with excellent organizational skills.
- People (relationship building and maintenance) skills.
- Assessment, interpretation and attention to details’ skills.
- Sound understanding of the Tanzania regulatory and business environment.
- Good conflict resolution skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Position: Operations Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Dar es Salaam
The Position Overview:
HJF seeks to recruit a Senior Operations Director in Tanzania to support the Country Director with strategic leadership and management of the organization and to oversee the Operations and Administration, Contracts and Grants, Human Resource, and Finance Departments.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Country Director, develops strong partnerships with Ministry of Health and Civil Society partners and stakeholders;
- Maintains a strong and wide network with key partners and stakeholders as well regular communication with the USG/DOD/WRAIR team in Tanzania;
- Works with the Country Director to develop strategies to problem-solve programmatic and operational challenges to promote successful programmatic implementation;
- Ensures programmatic and operational compliance with grant rules and regulations, HJF policies as well as Tanzanian Laws;
- Directs the development of country budgets in line with program plans and operational guidance;
- With relevant country office staff, monitors internal budget reports, prepare forecasts, and conduct expenditure analysis;
- Oversees the development and execution of sub-agreement and contracts;
- Oversees the administration of Human Resource functions including development and implementation of HR policies, hiring, performance management, and disciplinary actions;
- Oversees and provides guidance for relevant staff for procurement procedures, administrative, logistical, transport, security, and risk management functions for the country office and 5 satellite offices.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Administration Financial Management or Public Administration with professional accounting qualifications;
- Minimum of twelve years of comparable senior work experience, preferably at Director level that includes administration and operations management, human resource management, contract management, procurement, logistics, and financial management with a minimum of seven years or more in an international setting preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Strong fiscal oversight and monitoring experience including advanced experience in managing program budgets according to USG guidelines and regulations;
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing a project of similar size and complexity and proven capacity of supervising a multi-disciplinary team, including Directors and senior managers, technical experts, and support staff;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including flexibility, diplomacy, intercultural communicative competence, and respect for colleagues;
- Evidence of excellent facilitation and team-building experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Advanced proficiency in English and computer literacy
- Knowledge of Swahili language is an advantage;
- Experience living in a rural African context is highly desired.
Job Title: Regional PMTCT and Pediatric Officer
Reports to: Regional Technical Coordinator
Location: Songwe, Tanzania
To strengthen PMTCT, EID and Pediatric HIV services within the supported region by HJFMRI. He/she will also facilitate HIV prevention, care, treatment and supported services for Pregnant/lactating women, children and adolescent in the region including improvement in Early Infant diagnosis of HIV (EID) among HIV exposed infants. S/he will be responsible to oversee HIV diagnosis in women and partners attending antenatal services (ANC), HIV exposed infants (EID), children and adolescent in the supported region. This entails HIV counselling and testing at all entry points including PITC and EID services, linkage and retention of Mother and Infant pairs, children and adolescents in the regional care and treatment program. On daily basis s/he will work with Regional Health Management team (RHMT) and Council Health Management Team (CHMT) to ensure quality and sustainable health services are provided along the PMTCT/EID/Pedi- atric and adolescents continuum of care.
- Ensure HIV testing services are routinely conducted at Reproductive and Child Health clinics (RCH) and other entry points to Pediatric and adolescent clients.
- Work with Regional HJF Technical Manager and District Program Management Officers to ensure Newly diagnosed HIV positive Pregnant/Lactating women, Infants , children and adolescents are linked and retained into care and treatment services
- Support the region to implement adherence strategies in health facilities and in collaboration with Regional program outreach coordinator ensure monthly tracking of Missed appointment and Lost to follow up of Mother baby pair, Pediatric and adolescent clients
- Creatively implement efforts to support health facilities to increase viral load coverage and suppression rate among Pregnant/lactating and children under 15 years of age in care and treatment in the supported region
- Work with regional technical manager and DPMOs and in collaboration with R/CHMT to plan for PMTCT/EID and Pediatric supportive supervision and mentorship activities
- Maintain effective liaisons with Regional and District stake holders to ensure achievement of PMTCT/EID and Pediatric targets
- Ensure PMTCT/EID and Pediatric HIV activities are provided in accordance with Tanzania National Guidelines
- Work with regional technical managers to disseminate materials related to PMTCT/EID and Pediatric HIV/AIDS care and Treatment, including clinical guidelines, protocols, Algorithms, Job Aids and other necessary tools
- Ensure integration between TB and HIV services such that there is Intensified TB case Identification, Infection control in the CTC for all Pediatric clients
- In collaboration with R/CHMT ensure quality data collection, verification and timely submission to relevant authorities
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by your supervisors
- Medical Doctor (MD) with at least 2 years of HIV clinical practice in a recognized public health facility (including internship program)
- Experience in PMTCT, Early Infant Diagnosis and Pediatric HIV care and Treatment services
- Knowledge in Quality Improvement (Ql) methods Knowledge & skills required
- Ability to communicate clearly in both written and Fluent English
- Proficient computer/software skills, including a command of MS Word and Excel Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with others in a National and local forums and other Implementing partners
- Ability to travel domestically for IP monitoring up to 50% of the time.
Senior District Program Management Officer and MAT Focal Person
Job Title: Senior District Program Management Officer and MAT Focal Person
Report To: Regional Technical Coordinator
Work Location: Songwe
Under the supervision of the Regional Program Manager, the Senior District Program Management Officer will guide and monitor the implementation of HIV/AIDS prevention; care and treatment, and MAT clinic activities supported through the HJFMRI/ MHRP program and carried out in alignment with the current Tanzania MoHCDGEC guidelines in all districts in Mbeya and Songwe regions of Tanzania.
The Senior District Program Management Officer will be stationed at Mbeya region. The Senior District Program Management Officer will take on responsibilities within the district in terms of providing regular supportive supervision and remediation plans for gaps identified at health facilities. S/he will assist in identifying and supporting capacity development of facility staff, as well as conducting basic M&E activities to monitor care and treatment programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with CHMTsto coordinate program planning, implementation, and monitoring of integrated care and treatment services, RCH/PMTCT activities, early infant diagnosis (EID), TB/HIV collaborative activities, as well as VMMC and CECAP activities at the facility level and through outreach activities
- Build the capacity of health care workers and facilities by performing regular supportive supervision, mentorship and technical assistance visits at HJFMRI supported Care and Treatment facilities in line with project objectives and MoHCDGEC guidelines and in cooperation with CHMTs and RHMTs
- In collaboration with Regional Program Managers, Regional Clinical Coordinators, Outreach Program Officers, and HJFMRI Medical and Outreach Advisors, develop and prepare action plans for gaps identified in the HIV/AIDS continuum of care during supportive supervision and oversee the implementation and follow up of said action plans
- Collaborate with facility and community HBC focal persons, as well as with HJFMRI outreach partners, to strengthen linkages of clients into care and treatment, PMTCT, and EID
- Provide technical assistance on establishment and sustainability of facility Ql teams
- Effectively work with CHMTs and facility leads to agree on target distribution and ensure regular review of progress to targets and establish regular site-level meetings for data review and service quality improvement.
- Work with the M&E team to ensure the availability of M&E tools and their correct use for data recording and reporting
- In collaborations with Regional Program Manager support districts in data collection and compilation, analysis, and reporting to Government structures and HJFMRI following mandatory report requirements for both Government and HJFMRI
- Liaise with district pharmacist, district lab personnel, and HJFMRI SCM advisor to support supply chain management services and HIV commodity management that ensure uninterrupted availability of HIV commodities at all levels within the districts. Provide technical assistance in monitoring and timely forecasting and ordering process at district and health facility level, as well as distribution and usage of HIV commodities by district councils and health facilities
- Monitor implementation of all activities in the partners’ approved work plans and budgets in the district.
- Review partners’ technical reports (activity reports and narrative reports) on the district assigned.
- Confirm the activities implemented by the respective district.
- Perform other duties as required
- MAT Clinic Duties
- Ensures the availability of customized SOPs and guideline available from the MoHCDGEC (by the national TWG) at the MAT clinic.
- Collaborate with the community partners to link eligible clients to MAT clinic and available community services
- Liaise with the M&E department to ensure all necessary reporting tools are available and used effectively
- Provider technical support to health care providers to ensure service delivery aligns with National guidelines and SOPs.
- Conduct on-site mentorship to address gaps and recommendations as revealed from supportive supervision team including the Muhimbili and DCEA technical team.
- Liaise with Hospital pharmacist to ensure uninterrupted methadone supply and other related commodities
- Coordinate quarterly regional MAT technical working groups
- Liaise with the community partners to trace all missing clients and update the clinic staff about the clients
- Ensures monthly reporting of clinical updates with the Mbeya HQ, the DoD, and US HQ technical leads
- Medical Degree is mandatory from a recognized institution and must be registered with the relevant professional body in Tanzania; postgraduate training in internal medicine or infectious diseases will be an added advantage.
- 2 years’ experience providing HIV/AIDS clinical care in Tanzania or previous experience working in HIV/AIDS care and treatment or research programs
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Basic Competency with Computer Applications [Word, Excel, PowerPoint]
- Willingness to spend 75% of working hours traveling and working in rural areas of Mbeya, and Songwe region.
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to Senior Manager, Human Resources, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or sent through e-mail to email@example.com
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for applying is 03rd December, 2021. As detailed in the job description(s) above, those who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.