With its abundance of natural resources, thriving economy and booming tourism industry, Tanzania is an attractive country for business and investment.Gold mining has been prominent in Tanzania for more than a century making it Africa’s fourth largest gold producing country. Nonetheless, the country remains comparatively under-explored.Shanta Gold’s portfolio of properties includes mining licences held at both New Luika and Singida.Nafasi za kazi Shanta Goldmine Shanta Gold’s portfolio of properties includes mining licences held at both New Luika and Singida.
JOB TITTLE:EXPLORATION GEOLOGIST
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This position reports directly to Senior Exploration Geologist
ACCOUNTABILITIES & AUTHORITIES OF THE ROLE
Exploration Geologist has the following duties and authorities:
- Participates in the planning and supervision of all exploration works
- Schedules teams to conduct exploration geology field trips – soil, stream sediments logging and sampling, regional mapping and sampling
- Checks and process data received and plots onto maps (hard and soft copies)
- Reports findings to the Senior Exploration Geologist – Preparation of technical reports detailing work completed during a reporting period and work planned for the next reporting period
- Utilizes soil samples and rock sampling data to plan trenching follow up programs
- Trench mapping and sampling
- DD and RC core logging and sampling
- Ensures site and team’s readiness before drilling
- Liaises with Survey to have all survey related tasks executed on time
- Rig monitoring and reporting of drilling progress
- Generates geological cross-sections, long-sections, and flitches
- Participates in the generation of drilling targets with the intention of optimizing drilling programs to ensure addition of significant quality ounces to the existing portfolio of the Company
- Processes new structural data gleaned from drill core and trenches using the available Dips software to improve understanding of the geological model
- Provides presentation on technical exploration activities completed on respective targets
- Supervises and trains subordinates and contractors where applicable
- Participates in the planning of follow up drill holes
- Coordinates the exploration geology team (other geologists and geo-technicians)
- Verifies all field data to ensure that the industry best practice exploration procedures are adhered to as part of the problem-solving process
- When required, liaises with community leaders in terms of planned exploration works in their areas
- Assesses and understands the safety, environment, and security challenges of exploration works/areas and accordingly plan and propose mitigation measures
- Ensures that the Department leadership is informed all the time of the plans and developments
- Knows how to liaise with artisanal miners when required to work in a Company license on which artisanal miners and workings are present.
- Assumes the responsibilities of the Senior Exploration Geologist as might be required.
- Compares and tracks the Department’s costs and expenditure against budget especially for quick moving items like PPE and fuel
- Monitors level of work completed by drilling contractors against their submitted invoicing to ensure alignment
- Ensure cash payments being done are in accordance with the Company policies
- Assist in managing the core shed by delegating and supervising duties of the supporting staff (geo-technicians, field assistants, drivers, and tradesmen)
- Monitors regional exploration expenses to ensure that budget is not exceeded
- Ensures that all the Department’s administration-related works and correspondences are in order
- Continuously look for ways (work allocation and supervision) to improve the Department’s effectiveness and to ensure that the Company policies and controls are complied with
- Participates in the development of Departmental strategic plans to ensure the KPIs are achieved
- Conducts meeting daily and weekly with team
- Delegates tasks to subordinates
- Provides feedback to the team on work completed
- Trains the team on-the-job on technical and non-technical aspects of the job
- Discusses performance verbally on weekly basis, and officially quarterly.
TEAMWORK AND RELATIONSHIPS
- Provides input from own field of expertise and experience
- Involves all disciplines within Exploration Geology and individuals performing different tasks and roles, and optimise productivity and good teamwork
- Sets objectives for subordinates
- Encourages team participation in problem solving
- Maintains good relationships with other Departments/Sections in the Company
REQUIRED SKILLED KNOWLEDGE
Qualification, Skills & Experience
- A degree in Geology from a reputable university.
- Membership of a reputable professional body would be an added advantage.
- Work experience in (gold) exploration of 5 – 7 years. Experience in the exploration of structurally controlled Proterozoic gold mineralization would be an added advantage.
- A broad understanding of geological settings, deposit models, and mineralization systems.
- Experience in geological mapping, geochemical and geophysical surveys, drill core logging, data interpretation, and geological modeling.
- Physical fitness for work in rugged terrains.
- Strong computer skills including knowledge with database, GIS, and modeling software preferably Micromine.
- Strong leadership abilities and experience in supervising exploration teams.
- Strong ethical attitude and ability to manage the required level of responsibility.
- Ability to work as part of the team and keep abreast of work progress to ensure work completion in time and within budget.
- Strong proficiency in verbal and written communication.
- Strong commitment to safety, environment, and community.
- Poessesion of a valid, clean class D driver’s license.
HOW TO APPLY
Application submission deadline is two weeks from the advertising date. Applicants are invited to submit their Resumes, certificates and application cover letters addressed to the below (indicating the position title in the subject) via E -Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Director
Shanta Mining Company Limited
P.O. Box 79408,
The deadline for submitting the application is 06 December 2021.