The College of Business Education (CBE) is looking for TWO qualified applicants who will be engaged as Computer Programmers for a contract period of one year. The primary purpose of the positions is to engage on design and development of various computer applications to support the College day to day operations.
The qualified candidates will work from specifications drawn up by systems analysts or other individuals. The programmers will be engaged with development team(s) by analyzing user needs and designing software solutions for the College.
JOB VACANCY: COMPUTER PROGRAMMER
This immediate opening of a Computer Programmer is for someone who will create and maintain internal software programs for CBE. The ideal candidate must possess a strong background in software development and programming. He or she must have an enhanced knowledge in programming on both Linux and Windows operating systems environment. The candidate has to be a hard-working individual who has a creative but analytical mindset. He or she should be self-motivated and self-supervised, and be ready for providing work weekly report.
The computer programmers, under the guidance and supervision of Computer Systems Manager or Senior Programmer/Application Developer, will be developing small to large scale sized in-house applications for the College. The programmers are expected to conduct system analysis, development and routine maintenance, with limited support from professional staff, to keep systems current with changing technologies. They will coordinate with computer systems analysts, programmers, business office staff, management and co-workers.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Confirming project requirements by reviewing program objective, input data, and output requirements with analyst, supervisor, and user department;
- Arranging project requirements in programming sequence by analyzing requirements; preparing a work flow chart and diagram using knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, programming language, and logic;
- Encoding project requirements by converting work flow information into computer language;Confirming program operation by conducting tests; modifying program sequence and/or codes;
- Preparing reference for users by writing operating instructions;
- Maintains client confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential;
- Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program;
- Write, update, and maintain computer programs or software packages to handle specific jobs, such as tracking inventory, storing or retrieving data, or controlling other equipment;
- Perform or direct revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements;
- Write or contribute to instructions or manuals to guide end users; and
- Investigate whether networks, workstations, the central processing unit of the system, and/or peripheral equipment are responding to a program’s instructions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good communication skills.
- General Programming Skills, Analyzing Information, Problem Solving, Software Algorithm Design, Software Performance Tuning, Attention to Detail, Software Design, Software Debugging, Software Development Fundamentals, Software Documentation, Software Testing;
- Creative, dynamic and forward-thinking individual;
- Innovative-able to identify new opportunities and make them happen;
- Knowledge of online Security Principles;
- Knowledge of automatic back up and mirroring; and
- Team player who can work independently.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Programming or related fields;
- At least two years’ experience in software development, preferably in managing the development of various academic and financial application
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a programmer, preferably in a University/College or similar environment
- Extensive experience in Object-Oriented Programming
- Knowledge on Database management techniques
Duration of Engagement
The successful applicant will be engaged for a contract period of one year. The start date is immediately. The position is located in Dar es Salaam.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send their covering letter, CV, three samples of previous software development work, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com
The closing date for receiving application will be two weeks from the date of this advertisement (i.e. 15th October, 2021) at 16.00 hours.NB:Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.