Director of External Affairs, Africa Region
Tracking Code 10502
PATH is a global non-profit organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide. PATH has projects in over 70 countries, offices in over 20 countries, and approximately 1,400 full-time employees worldwide.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
Africa Region leverages its internal and global expertise to drive
transformative and innovative practices that reflect the African
context. By mobilizing our pre-existing talent within the region and
working with our global teams, we take innovation to scale by working
alongside our Ministries of Health to reduce health disparities. With
potential for expansion, the division currently works across seven
country offices and four project offices distributed among four Hubs –
Southern, Western, Central, and East Africa.
PATH’s External Affairs (EXA) division is seeking a Director of External Affairs for the newly created Africa Region. The position will report to PATH’s Chief of Africa Region (CAR) with a dotted line to the Chief of External Affairs and will be part of the Africa Regional Management Team, which includes the Africa Finance & Planning Director, four Sub-Regional Hub leaders, the Africa Region Director of Technical Strategy and Business Development, the Africa Region Director of Operations, and the Africa HR Director. She/he will also sit on the global External Affairs Leadership Team. This position may be based in any of the Country Program offices: Dakar, Kinshasa, Lusaka, Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Dar Es Salaam, or Kampala.
The Director of External Affairs, Africa Region, is a senior leader who will be responsible for overall external affairs activities in the region including positioning PATH, internal and external communications, and supporting PATH’s 11 African offices in external affairs activities and in building and strengthening capacity throughout the region.
The Director of External Affairs, Africa Region, is a key leadership position for PATH. Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee all external affairs and communications activities and strategies for the Africa Region.
- Serve as a strategic partner and advisor to both the Chief of External Affairs and the Chief of Africa Region (CAR) on external and internal positioning, ensuring that external stakeholder and internal employee perspectives inform strategies and decision-making.
- Serve as a key member of the EXA Leadership Team and the Africa Regional Management Team.
- Support CAR, Africa Hub, and Country Directors with strategic communications needs including positioning for key awards, crisis communications, and media relations.
- In partnership with the global EXA Leadership Team, help design the future organizational model for communications and advocacy functions across the Africa Region.
- Support regional and program leaders to represent PATH in external meetings and convenings to promote the organization, influence policy discussions, and identify potential areas for partnership and donor engagement.
- In partnership with PATH’s global advocacy and policy team, build relationships with key stakeholders and participate in forums, convenings, networks, and meetings with relevant partners to advocate for public health policies and resource commitments.
- In partnership with PATH’s global communications and marketing teams, oversee all strategic communications for the Africa Region, both internally and externally, including crisis and executive communications, brand marketing and reputational awareness, positioning communications, global events, and creative in the Africa Region.
- In partnership with PATH’s external affairs strategy team, develop and lead implementation of the EXA Africa Strategy to define key audiences and go-to-market strategies.
- In partnership with PATH’s philanthropy team, help develop content for fundraising campaigns and reports for key donors in the Africa Region.
- Minimum of 15 years experience with progressive senior leadership responsibility leading an organization’s communications or external affairs functions.
- Established relationships and networks with key stakeholders including policymakers, donors, journalists, and public health leaders in the region.
- Ability to provide strategic direction and create a work environment that enables the organization to achieve results.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to work under pressure, provide sound judgment, to inspire and lead people, enable teamwork, and sustain momentum.
- Ability to evaluate, manage, and build teams in a complex, multifaceted setting.
- Experience in public health preferred.
- Experience advising senior executives on strategic communications and crisis management.
- Demonstrated expertise in building collaborative relationships on multiple organizational levels with integrity and emotional intelligence.
- Superior client service orientation with a good understanding of PATH’s business model, its operational environment and its partners, and its broader principles.
- Dedicated to promoting a culture free of bias and injustice, putting equity at the core of all decisions and actions.
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
*PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers.*
PATH will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process.
All active jobs are advertised directly on our career's page.
Official PATH emails will always arrive from an @path.org or @silkroad.com address.
Please report any suspicious communications to email@example.com.