At Meliá Hotels International, you have the power to create your future. For us, the most important thing is your talent: We share the passion that makes you put your heart into everything you do, day after day. We are by your side to help you go beyond your limits, to celebrate every victory with you. Because together, we are the stars of our own stories.
- Free CV Writing and Download, Cover/Job Application Letters, Interview Questions and It's Best Answers plus Examples. Click Here
An oasis within Arusha (Tanzania) set out on 18 acres of beautiful landscaped coffee and tea plantations. Pure tranquility with spectacular views of Mount Meru. Gran Meliá Arusha offers a unique experience combining the most exciting once-in-a-lifetime safari destination with state-of-the-art conference facilities
Pastry Chef - Gran Meliá Arusha
Meliá Hotels International
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
To function as the Pastry Chef for all pastry and bakery products, making sure that they contribute to the overall success of outlets and banquets, in accordance with the hotel’s standards and financial goals.
What will you be doing?
Controls and analyzes, on an on-going basis, the level of the following:
- Sales: Events, BEO`s, meetings, etc.
- Costs: Weekly consumption, ordering, stock in hand/inventory & consumption by outlet
- Issuing & receiving of pastry/bakery items
- Assuring the high quality of all dessert, bakery and pastry products served in any outlet at the hotel, such as the presentation, quality & variety
- Condition and cleanliness of facilities and equipment in the Pastry
- Employees well-being and daily performance
- Guest satisfaction
- Marketing: to be discussed and followed up with Executive chef, F&B director and Sales tea
- To assist in overseeing the preparation and update of the Pastry Departmental Operations Manual.
- To conduct regular communications meetings and ensure that departmental briefings and meetings are effective and conducted as necessary
- To ensure that all guest contact pastry and bakery employees deliver the brand promise and provide exceptional guest service at all times.
- To ensure that pastry and bakery employees also provide excellent service to internal customers as appropriate.
- To handle all guest and internal customer complaints and inquiries in a courteous and efficient manner, where appropriate, following through to make sure problems are resolved satisfactorily.
- To maximize employee productivity through the use of multi-skilling, multi-tasking and flexible scheduling to meet the financial goals of the business as well as the expectations of the guests.
- To ensure that the Pastry Department operates with the lowest possible cost structure
- To oversee the production management of all pastry and bakery goods for the hotel’s food and beverage operation, ensuring that the required mise-en-place and finished products are produced and delivered to the appropriate areas.
- To discuss all needs and jobs to be completed with the Executive Chef, to assure a smooth operation
- To ensure that all company minimum brand standards have been implemented, and that optional brand standards have been implemented where appropriate.
- To respond to the results of the Consumer Audit and ensure that the relevant changes are implemented.
- To encourage employees to be creative and innovative, challenging and recognizing them for their contribution to the success of the operation.
- To work closely with other management personnel in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.
- To make sure that all employees are up to date with the availability of seasonal and new products on the market.
- To taste and monitor the pastry and baked products served throughout the operation, providing feedback where appropriate.
- To work with the Purchasing Manager in the procurement of the best product for the best price.
- To work closely with the Stewarding Manager to ensure that hygiene standards are maintained.
- To supervise pastry and bakery employees to make sure that operating equipment is cared for and properly used to maximize its useful life, and to minimize breakage and personal injury.
- To assist in the recruitment and selection of all pastry and bakery employees. To follow hotel guidelines when recruiting and use a competency-based approach to selecting employees.
- To oversee the punctuality and appearance of all pastry and bakery employees, making sure that they wear the correct uniform and maintain a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene, according to the hotel and department’s grooming standards.
- To develop the skills and effectiveness of all pastry Team Leaders through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the resort, the brand and the Company.
- Awareness of certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local government agency.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities.
- Diploma or Vocational Certificate in Pastry & Baking or Culinary Skills or related field.
- At least 8 years experience in the Pastry field.